do you think there is some truth behind every joke?

my SO was "joking around" today saying he got me a membership for weight watchers. then when i got kind of pissed about it he told me he was joking. i think he really means it but didn't want to make me feel bad. especially because i've been particularly insecure about my weight lately. what do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:50 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I don't know if that's what your SO meant, but I do believe there is some truth in every joke
    Anonymous

• YES!! My husband can have a hint of sarcasm behind his jokes.. he denies it.. But we all (my family) know that men can communicate that way. It is hard because, they can strike a nerve for sure. I would confront him gently, honestly.. and say, "Do you have a problem with my weight or are you concerned about my health.. do you feel like I'm not living up to my potential? Because I know this is coming from some where, please don't deny that."

If he shruggs it off, I say, "ok.. you had your chance to be honest, and if that was a joke, it wasn't funny."
    scout575

Answer by scout575 at 12:00 AM on May. 29, 2009

• A personal "joke" like that always has some truth behind it. Hell, back when I was skinny and my then husband and I would be at a gathering or party, he would always serve me a plate like I was eating for two and he would say "here put some weight on". HA! Now I'm divorced and fat! There is always some truth.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 12:09 AM on May. 29, 2009

• I heard that 90% of what people say jokingly they really mean.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 12:31 AM on May. 29, 2009

• Yup.
    heatherbug82

Answer by heatherbug82 at 1:22 AM on May. 29, 2009