Do you think moms that date sex offenders should have their kids taken away?

The boyfriend of a mother whose 5-year-old daughter is the subject of an Amber Alert and another man are in police custody and are being questioned about her disappearance.

Jennifer Buchanan denies that she was dating Kennedy and said they have been friends for several years. She said she knew he had a criminal record and is on the sex offender list.

In 2002, Kennedy was sentenced to 15 years in prison for home invasion and third-degree criminal sexual conduct. He was released in 2007 and remains on parole until July 2009.

Police said Kennedy is being detained because he violated the terms of his parole by having a relationship with a woman who has a child under the age of 17.

Jennifer Buchanan's brother, Michael Buchanan told Local 4 he knew Kennedy was a sex offender and he used to fight with his sister about letting him around his niece.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 PM on May. 28, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think its harsh to take them away but i dont see any other precausion for the mothers stupidity.
    momie_of_munch2

Answer by momie_of_munch2 at 11:57 PM on May. 28, 2009

• YES! Children cannot defend themselves and if their stupid and selfish mother won't do it then someone must....

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:58 PM on May. 28, 2009

• yes if mother dates a sex offender and knows it take the kids away! she is crazy!!!!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 12:04 AM on May. 29, 2009

• oh my gosh!! I am always shocked by this kind of situation.. The mother must be so F'd up in the first place, to subject her innocent child to such a sick person. She doesn't deserve custody of her child.. EVER!!
    scout575

Answer by scout575 at 12:07 AM on May. 29, 2009

• Um yes I think her children should be taken away. It might seem harsh to some people, but I can't imagine any SANE mother being okay with her children being around a convicted sex offender...let alone dating one herself! It is a fact that people who commit sex crimes, 75% of the time, do it again, and in my opinion, that is WAYYY too high of a percentage to play with. Would you throw your kids out in the street without looking and hope there isn't a car coming? No. And in my opinion, allowing a convicted sex offender around your children is just as dangerous.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:08 AM on May. 29, 2009

• I agree with the pp's. Knowingly dating a sex offender should be grounds to take her kids away. How sad for that little girl.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:09 AM on May. 29, 2009

• so I do agree to an extent. What if the sex offender was 18 at the time and had consensual sex with a 16 y/o? The only thing is not everyone on the sex offender list is a true sex offender. That being said if you knowingly date one and know what the crime is like this mom the n yes you should get your kids taken away.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 12:18 AM on May. 29, 2009

• if she knows then you bet your sweet butt.. They should take those kids so fast her mindless head spins
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 12:20 AM on May. 29, 2009

Op here: I agree with this.Not everyone on that list is a true offender.And to add to that what about the sexting now days? Does anyone think the kids punished for the sexting should actually be on these lists
    babysyoungmom1

Answer by babysyoungmom1 at 12:22 AM on May. 29, 2009

• Well they put guys who rape grown women on the sex offender registry too, but yes, if he is a child molester she should have her children removed from her home for their safety. The experts say that child molesters cannot be rehabilitated. If she dates a rapist of grown women, well, she's just stupid, but at least hopefully her children arent in danger.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:21 AM on May. 29, 2009