If your baby was in the NICU...

and you breastfed...how did you get the baby to latch after they fed him/her using a bottle. Im taking my baby home tomorrow and I need advice on how to get her to stop being so lazy because I dont want to feed her using a bottle. Is there like some magical trick or do I just put her on and hope for the best? I also have an overproduction problem how do you deal with engorgement besides pumping or is that the only way...because the more you pump the more you produce (and faster)

hug4akiss

Asked by hug4akiss at 12:02 AM on May. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My twins were in NICU for one week. They were born at 33 weeks. I was NEVER able to get my boy to latch on, always had to pump and bottle feed...my girl on the other hand latched right on when we got home.
    t_06_twins

Answer by t_06_twins at 12:11 AM on May. 29, 2009

• Just stop giving the bottle. Put them away somewhere you won't be tempted to even use them. As for the engorgement/over production you may find this useful

SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 12:11 AM on May. 29, 2009

• my son had low blood sugar when he was born. I wanted so badly to breastfeed, so they would bring him to me to feed, but would still have to give him formula immediately after to make sure his sugar stayed up. After that week of breast && bottle feeding, he just wouldn't latch on at all anymore. So I had to pump && put it in a bottle or he wouldn't eat. I was so devastated b/c it was something that I really wanted to do, but after 3 weeks of pumping I just gave up b/c it wasn't the same. I only know of 2 ways to help when the engorgement, && that is pumping or sit in a very hot bath and squeeze your breasts to express the milk. && the only way to stop your body from producing so much is to not pump very often or not at all in between feedings, b/c that is what your body is supposed to do. The more you feed your baby or the more you pump, the more your body will make b/c it is designed to produce as much as your baby needs.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 12:36 AM on May. 29, 2009

• We avoided the bottle in NICU...but that doesn't help you.

Before you go home, ask for a supplemental nursing system. And since you have an oversupply...express a little milk and leave it on the nipple before latching.

Stop by the Breastfeeding Moms group for more help.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:37 AM on May. 29, 2009