• In the Spotlight:

How can I help my two and a half year old potty train?

She shows all the ready signs, but has a talent of holding her urine for hours (6 to 7) at a time until a diaper goes back on. I have even tried not putting a diaper back on, even at bedtime and naptime and all it accomplishes is her peeing all over her bed and herself. Please help. I have used rewards, a timer, loading her up on drinks, two types ofpotties, books, water running, pouring water on her legs, etc.

lovemylife10

Asked by lovemylife10 at 12:18 AM on May. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you told her what the potty is for? Is she using the training potty or big potty. Ask her when she gets that feeling that means to go to the bathroom and do number 1 or number 2. With my son it became a game. If I saw him pinch himself, I knew he needed to go. Iwould ask him then take him myself. Encourage him when he did his tinkle or doodle. I always talked about that feeling you get before you have to go. Mine was easy to train. It surprised me because I had heard all the hardship stories of other moms. Talk to her. And, yes she will make a mess until she catches on. It won't be perfect the first few times. IT takes a couple of messy shorts and patience. Good luck.
    I have an idea. Have you done roll playing. Get one of her dolls and play with her( your daughter) for a few minutes then pretend the doll has to go potty. Let your DD take the doll to the potty. Maybe this will help?
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 12:42 AM on May. 29, 2009

• Try a potty chart. I made my own. She got one sticker for going #1 on the potty and two stickers for doing #2. Mine was alos very difficult, but this worked wonders. I let her put the stickers on herself, she was very proud of it. Good Luck.
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 12:46 AM on May. 29, 2009

• Get her a training potty that sits on the floor near the big potty... every time you go to the bathroom take her with you and sit her on it. She will want to do what you are doing and eventually she will catch on. They always wanna do what mommy does... good and bad... make it work for you.
    Famos_blue

Answer by Famos_blue at 3:22 AM on May. 29, 2009