What can I do to prevent constipation in my 7 month old?

My DS gets constipated every so often and I'm curious as to how it can be avoided. I give him an ounce or 2 of apple juice daily (diluted with water), but it doesn't seem to make too much of a difference. Help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on May. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 1/2 t of dark Karo in 2 oz of water. Or add to formula. On ours, we did the karo in 2 oz of water every morning. Or get the apple-prune juice from gerber, and dilute it 1/2 & 1/2. Our 2 y/o FS still has the apple-prune juice almost every day. He doesn't often get constipated, but it softens his poop. You can make the apple-prune yourself by adding prune juice to apple juice in a pitcher and judge by its color (close to the gerber). It's cheaper that way, if it works well for your baby.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 1:42 AM on May. 29, 2009

• water with Karo syrup on his formula u can put some too

evelyn334

Answer by evelyn334 at 12:35 AM on May. 29, 2009

• I use half water, half apple juice. Works EVERY time.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 12:44 AM on May. 29, 2009

• Karo
    iluvmymacita

Answer by iluvmymacita at 2:15 AM on May. 29, 2009

• No Karo, please. Per the manufacturer, it's not recommended.

Make sure baby is nursing or getting formula BEFORE solids. Solids are the usual culprit and the problem is that babies get too much. Nurse or bottle FIRST, solids after and just a teaspoon a feeding is FINE. The solids are not for nutrition yet. They're just for getting baby used to different tastes and textures.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:30 AM on May. 29, 2009

• Try feeding him prunes (my son LOVES them!), and once he can chew (about 9 months or so), olives can help. You can also try probiotics, which we're about to do with our son (just so he doesn't live on the olive-and-prune diet).
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:05 AM on May. 29, 2009

• And I agree about the no Karo syrup. Not a good idea.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:06 AM on May. 29, 2009

• Is your baby bottle feed or breast feed?.It could be her formula.Consult with your pediatrician before trying anything..
    jayzs

Answer by jayzs at 5:20 AM on May. 29, 2009