Is there anything you can do to help your one month old get rid of the hiccups fast? and help them to stop spitting up?

kaileymomma0409

Asked by kaileymomma0409 at 12:51 AM on May. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i dont know much about what to do about the hiccups. but when my niece was little she had acid reflux and always spit up. so my dad made her a wedge and after she ate layed her on it some how the incline of the wedge helped her keep it down.
    pcampsey

Answer by pcampsey at 1:43 AM on May. 29, 2009

• you can give them an oz or 2 of water, BUT you have to be very careful. sit the baby straight up && just give him/her a sip or 2 at a time && then take it away && let him/her swallow b/c it is very easy for young babies to choke on it. or if you think it is being caused by gas, you can try malicon(sp) drops.they worked wonders for my son. Also, if he/she is spitting up at every or almost every feeding, you may want to consider changing your formula, if you aren't breastfeeding. My son couldn't take Enfamil at all, only Similac.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 1:44 AM on May. 29, 2009

• The way we do it in our family is to scare them. Catch them completely offguard.. We yell "bam" really loud. It works!
    iluvmymacita

Answer by iluvmymacita at 2:12 AM on May. 29, 2009

• the hiccups: i have suckers in the house and let my 6 week old suck on it for a few seconds at a time, it regulates breathing and thats what causes them. the spitting up make sure you are not laying baby flat right away, wait about 20 mins for food to digest a little bit. also moving baby slowly after eating for about 20 ins, you can buy the wedges for cribs at many stores, just saw one at meijer tonight and i have on myself and it helps alot.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 3:12 AM on May. 29, 2009

• Hiccups and spitting up are indicators of refux so there are heaps of ways that you can try to fix this.
    Keep baby upright for some time after food and avoid touching her tummy.
    Don't burp too hard
    Give smaller and more frequent meals
    Give dummy to baby
    Give small sip of drink to baby
    Brauer Natural Homepathic Remedies for Stomach Calm

My DD had this problem and so once she got to 3 months we started thickening her formula with baby rice cereal. You can also buy formula thickener. This just neutralises the acid in her tum tum and so it does hurt or come back up.

Good luck
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 7:26 AM on May. 29, 2009

• Your baby sounds like my son! He has GERD and is also lactose intolerant. My son has to take Zantac to neutralize the acid. The previous poster gives great advice - we keep my son upright for 20 mins after feedings, smaller more frequent meals, burps him well, and we used to use a pacifier. The spit-up decreased around 5-6 months. Our pediatrician recommended Enfamil AR (if you are formula feeding); it has the added rice starch, but not the added calories that come with rice cereal. Good luck! Message me if you like.
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 8:32 AM on May. 29, 2009

• Breastfeed if possible. A few sucks on the boob and hiccups gone. My son's a hiccuping man and I can get rid of them within a minute. The spitting up is temporary for most babies. Try not to bounce him around, go in a swing, or lay down an hour after eating. Also, try for a second burp.
    COgle3

Answer by COgle3 at 9:45 AM on May. 29, 2009

• Try Gripe Water. You can find it at Walgreens, Babies R Us or a Cvs. Its about $7-13 a bottle depending on the size and you just give them a little squirt in their mouth (it comes with a measuring dropper) and it stops immediately. Works great, I love it!
    nut0077

Answer by nut0077 at 2:52 PM on May. 29, 2009