Help! Ive tried everything!

So we got a puppy in Jan. We struggled potty training for awhile. at first we tried using a box indoors for him since thats what the breeder did. It didnt work so well. He used certain spots on the carpet a lot! Well now he pretty much goes outside with just a few accidents now, and usually just poops in those spots now. pees maybe only once a week on the carpet, and its usually my fault for not be able to take him out. Anyway...now i CANNOT get the smell out of the carpet...esp in 1 certain spot in the kitchen!! Its driving me crazy! Ive tried all the spays. Ive sprinkled baking soda over it (he jsut went on top of it). I tried the perfume powders. vinager spray, I even rented a steam cleaner from the store and did that...AND IT STILL SMELLS! anyone know how to get the smell out PERMANETLY (changing the carpet is not an option, tho I wish it was!) The carpet is very flat cuz its in the kitchen!

RhiannonHunt

Asked by RhiannonHunt at 2:21 AM on May. 29, 2009 in Pets

• Try white vinegar. Vinegar neutralizes urine.

Next, housebreaking a pup is more than just watching him, b/c a dog will up and go the second you turn your head. :) They are funny like that.

Remember that pups have small bladders and short colons. Put his food down 2 or 3 times a day and offer the meal. As soon as he is done take him for a quick and brisk walk. As he piddles and poo's be sure to use the command word over and over again. When he finishes, pat his head and say "Good dog." He will think he's done something worthy. :)

After the meal, take up his water and food bowls. Remember, too, that when a dog is played, chased and rough housed, his bladder is hard to hold and he'll find somewhere to piddle, so always take him out after a good romp. Make this each fam. members job when they choose to play.

Next, teach your pup to hold his bm and pee by crate training. A dog learns from his mother not to ..
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 8:05 AM on May. 29, 2009

• cont...eliminate near where he sleeps. Crates give a pup a place he can call his own, where humans cannot go and disturb him. He is able to rest and relax without being molested by children. This teaches him to be calm and allows him to also have time for his body to repair. When dogs have the run of the house, they will seek out places to mark which is natural. That is in his nature, BUT for the domesticated dog we have to re-train that out of him and show him that he must live with humans in a diff. manner.

Take him to the same spot outdoors each time to eliminate. Short walks down the street will help him move his colon so be sure and take bags to clean up after him. Keeping to a regular routine of feeding at the same time each day, offering water in intervals during the day, and regular short walks will help balance not only himself but help the family so that you don't have to worry about accidents.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 8:09 AM on May. 29, 2009

• my dogs use my basement when we are not home and i clean it up at night dont let him eat after 6 pm so he wont have the urge to go at night. but as for the smell which i know was your original question use scalding hot water with white distilled vinegar! works like a charm
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 3:34 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Did you try the enzyme spray Walmart sells? I cant remember the name of it but the bottle is white and has a pink label on it... I used that and got rid of cat spray smell... so it might be worth a shot.
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 7:26 AM on May. 30, 2009