Girl scouts - brownies, etc. Are they worth joining if you want your daughter to get a sense of helping others? Or is it mostly just helping make the earth Green?

I've been tossing around this idea of having my 9 year old join this group b/c I think she needs to meet new people and b/c I want her to focus on helping others. I don't want her growing up being so self-concerned like I am. I'm thinking that I'd like to join the group myself :) lol

mybabies

Asked by mybabies at 2:42 AM on May. 29, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• When i was a kid it was about both. i dont know about now a days.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:52 AM on May. 29, 2009

• I think that girl scouts is an excellent program for girls.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 5:30 AM on May. 29, 2009

• I don't know about making the earth green. I thought the purpose was to build self confidence, leadership & self-reliance. You also learn about service-like helping in the community.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 6:58 AM on May. 29, 2009

• When i was in girl scouts it was about a lot of things. Team work, setting goals, respecting yourself and others, self reliance, helping people, and we did learn about the environment and how to 'be green'. They also taught us about drugs and alcohol (that was in juniors) and once they even brought in one of the girl's baby brother and taught us how to change diapers, feed  and hold a baby and infant first aid. We went on a lot of trips too. A lot of camping. We learned how to make a fire and cook on it and how to fish and stuff like that. I had a lot of fun. And my mom was almost always there with us. I hope it hasn't changed much. I want to put my girls in it too.

sunshine06

Answer by sunshine06 at 7:48 AM on May. 29, 2009

• i am a girl scout leader ad all was good till they got into junior girl scouts.its a co op troop and i dont like the curriculum.oh well good luck..
    raineydays377

Answer by raineydays377 at 8:34 AM on May. 29, 2009

• As a former girl scout and leader I can tell you that they have a great program, but it is all leader dependent. If the girls and the leader want to focus on one area then it will be all about that. If they want to explore all the areas then they will get more out of it. You should definitely volunteer. Everybody brings new talents to share.

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 11:41 AM on May. 29, 2009

• Check out GSA website.
    Anonymous

• Another option might be Keepers of the Faith programs for girls called Keepers at Home. She (and you) can learn most anything you'd like together and develop her character along the way. Keepersofthefaith.com is their website.

GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 1:43 AM on May. 30, 2009

• GSA also has an at home program called Juliettes. I will say that I pushed my SD into Brownies the first year. She continued for 1.5 more years. She may not think she got much out of it, but I could tell the difference with how she treated others. The troupe that my SD was in for Juniors was VERY active. I think it is highly dependent on what the girls want and what the leaders are willing to put in. As will all service organizations, you get out what you put into it.
    MomOwl

Answer by MomOwl at 8:26 PM on May. 30, 2009

• My Daughter started as a Daisy Scout, we just moved up to Junior Girl Scouts and she loves it. I was a Camp Fire Girl in Oregon and really loved that. Both groups GSA And CF have helping others as a part of what they do. You can also join things together, soup kitchens, food bank fund raising. My child has had a" Bring food for the Town Food Pantry Birthday Party" (I loved this as no new stuff came in from her pals that birthday!). There are limitless ways for the two of you to look outside yourselves and change the world!
    Enjoy this new step in your lives together a lot of great things can happen.
    ChayaofNorfolk

Answer by ChayaofNorfolk at 10:52 AM on Jun. 1, 2009