thoughts on membrane stripping..

i know i asked about this already in a way, but at dinner tonight a lady that has a 6 week old was talking to me and telling me that if they s trip my membranes ill have my baby for sure within 2 days because they wont let me leave the hospital with things seperated and what not? i was under the impression this was NOT true, that sometimes this worked for women and sometimes it didnt, not that either way id be induced. Just curious of the other mom point of views. i know ill find out monday but im curious now! :] ps. the question is will they let me leave after its done and ill just come back if things progress like i want? so far everyone ive talked to went into labor within 12 hours of having this done and had a baby within the next day..

USMC_Elisa

Asked by USMC_Elisa at 3:24 AM on May. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes, they will let you leave :) I had this done with my last daughter, and I didn't go into labor till a week later. But, every woman's body is different. Good luck with everything!!

Aviators_Wife

Answer by Aviators_Wife at 3:56 AM on May. 29, 2009

• I had it done with my first. It did not start labor and hurt like hell, I wouldn't recommend it.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 4:06 AM on May. 29, 2009

• ^^ I agree: It did hurt like hell!
    Aviators_Wife

Answer by Aviators_Wife at 4:16 AM on May. 29, 2009

• i had it done still didnt go in to labor
    it didnt really hurt me tho .. but really neither didi labor when it came
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 5:54 AM on May. 29, 2009

• I just had one done Yesterday morning, nothing has happened yet.
    And it's not 100% that you'll go into labor.
    CamiiiCompasion

Answer by CamiiiCompasion at 6:07 AM on May. 29, 2009

• I had it done in the doctor's office and went home. My water broke and I reported to the hospital like a good little patient. Where I was hooked up to every contraption they owned and c-sectioned 21 hours later. Not a good idea. Your baby will come when he/she comes. But if you are having it done at the same hospital that the woman you talked to, then she just might know what she is talking about because every hospital has its own little quirks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:40 AM on May. 29, 2009

• I had mine stripped at 39 weeks and did not go into labor. I had some horrible contractions that night, and lost my mucus plug, but didn't go into active labor. And, for me, it hurt like hell. So the following week, I scheduled to be induced instead of going through another stripping. This was done at my OB's office.

Not sure, but maybe she is thinking about her water being broken? If that happens, you can't leave and must go to the hospital (unless having a home birth) because they want you to deliver within 24 hours of the water breaking.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 7:49 AM on May. 29, 2009

• When you said whats your thoughts on stripping membranes, the first thing that came to mind was:

HURTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:21 AM on May. 29, 2009

• I had mine stripped yesterday... It personally didn't hurt me it was just uncomfortable.... I lost my mucus plug and been having cramps and some contractins... I'm praying it will happen today.... I'll keep you updated!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 11:09 AM on May. 29, 2009

• My Doc did mine and it hurt like hell. I was 4 days overdue, but I had her 24 hours later.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:44 AM on May. 29, 2009