My daughter ( 3 years old in August ) wakes up everynight with really bad leg pains.

It used to happen every once in a while and I thought it was probably growing pains, but now it is every night. She seems like she is really in pain. I end up rubbing her legs every night now. So much that my hands ache all the time now. I have tried cold and warm packs. What else can I do... and could it be somthing serious?

Famos_blue

Asked by Famos_blue at 3:29 AM on May. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It could be cramps, like a charley horse. Try giving extra potassium, from bananas, tomatoes, and such. It should help with the cramping/
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 3:43 AM on May. 29, 2009

• Obviously tell her doctor just in case. I would try some tylenol and see if that helps. I remember at around age four my legs were ALWAYS in pain too and my dad would wake up every night and rub them too. Maybe try some warm pants, make her wear them to bed?
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 5:23 AM on May. 29, 2009

• I would see her doctor just to be sure. It could be nothing, but they may have suggestions on how to relieve it or you could catch a problem early.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 5:29 AM on May. 29, 2009

• go to her dr .. sorry but its not rocket science if your child hurts constanty go to the dr
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:28 AM on May. 29, 2009

• Maybe, it is because she wakes up but her body is still in. a state of rest- like she has woken before her body is ready. I used to do that and I was literally paralysed from the waist down. I would take Paracetamol for it (Tylenol in US).

However, given that it happens so frequently a doc should be seen. It may be as simple as changing her vitamin intake or her sleep pattern
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:08 AM on May. 29, 2009

• Growing pains. Rub the sore muscles.
    mom2boys1997

Answer by mom2boys1997 at 7:55 AM on May. 29, 2009

• My DD will be 3 in July and is constantly complaining of leg pain lately and she definitly has had a growth spurt. I would mention it to the doc but he/she'll probably just say growing pains.
    MammaMcC

Answer by MammaMcC at 10:29 AM on May. 29, 2009