Baby led weaning? is it innapropriate to feed BIG BOY food, yes like real finger food to a 6 month old? i stumbbled upon a crazy dutch website all about how mushy food is boring and to go ahead and give my baby whole apples and table food? any thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:30 AM on May. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My DS HATED purees...so if I make something I feel he can eat than I give it to him. He eats pretty much anything I put infront of him. He has been eating chicken cooked by me (not in a jar) since he was about 7 months old (he is 9.5 months old now). Every child is different, you have to do what fits your child best.
    mag12305cmg

Answer by mag12305cmg at 7:04 AM on May. 29, 2009

• I gave my son whole piled apples without the steams at about eight months but never six...thats too early and dangerous. Starting with mushy stuff helps them get to understand how to use their jaw muscles. Later down the road they are ready for the solids...later later like ten months.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 5:21 AM on May. 29, 2009

• at 6 months my son was eating cheerios and those teething cookies
    he had NO problems with it and his dr said ti was fine
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:06 AM on May. 29, 2009

• At 6 months we started giving finger and table foods. By 9 months they were totally on table foods.

Whole apples? No. My 3 year old just recently started eating a whole apple.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:29 AM on May. 29, 2009

• Try it ... you never know, he may really like it. I was always nervous about giving my son non-mashed foods at 6 months because he didn't have any teeth. Now, at 1 y/o, he has four teeth and is pretty good at eating chunky foods.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 7:43 AM on May. 29, 2009

• My son IS SOOOO PICKY about food. He used to like babyfood, now refuses. We're trying with finger foods as well, but he's still picky. Lots of moms have told me that their baby went straight to small pieces of table food. I've heard cooked carrots and pasta (like the wheels and big shells) are a hit! Still try one thing at a time, though, as to look out for any allergies.
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 8:29 AM on May. 29, 2009

• I'm going to try it with this baby. I wouldn't do it with hard stuff like apples but i don't see why a child that is ready for solids cant eat a piece of broccoli or green beans. With my first i made baby food and he started eating table foods around 10 months or so.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 8:46 AM on May. 29, 2009

• There's no rush to get your child eating "regular" foods. Why not try the purees first, so you can identify potential allergies, then work your up to eating finger foods? But it's really up to you. My daughter eats purees for breakfast (in her cereal) and finger foods/table foods the rest of the day. It's what she enjoys. Go with your child's cues. If he doesn't seem to be enjoying eating regular foods, then give the purees a try.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 4:07 PM on May. 29, 2009