DO YOU THINK AMERICA IS RACIST????HONESTLY

PLEASE NO BASHING OR FIGHTING.EVERYONE HAS AN OPINION AND I'M JUST ASKING FOR YOURS. NOT A BRAWL OR UNLADYLIKE BEHAVIOUR.SO PLEASE IF IT'S NOT NICE AND DOES NOT PERTAIN TO THE QUESTION ,JUST KEEP IT TO YOURSELF PLEASE? THIS IS AN HONEST POLL FOR CURIOUSITY SAKE.WE DEBATED THIS AT DINNER... SIO I TOLD MY FAMILY I WOULD POST IT AND WE COULD SEE HOW MANY REPLIES IT GETS AND WHO WAS RIGHT EVEN MAYBE?????

RUSTI44

Asked by RUSTI44 at 5:35 AM on May. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes. It's sad, but true. A lot of the majority black neighborhoods aren't safe. It's not just a race issue, it's also fear for one's safety (for some of those teachers). The fact of the matter is that many parents in these neighborhoods take no personal interest in their child's education, or life, for that matter. School is a place that some parents send their kids so that they can get a break from them.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 6:35 AM on May. 29, 2009

• I believe there are racist individuals. I wouldn't generalize by saying the country as a whole is racist.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 5:46 AM on May. 29, 2009

• "Teachers Choose Schools According To Student Race, According To Study"
    "It's well established that schools with large minority populations tend to have lower quality teachers," Dr. Jackson said. "But it is unclear whether these schools are merely located in areas with a paucity of quality teachers, whether quality teachers avoid these schools because of the neighborhood or economic factors surrounding a school, or whether there is a direct relationship between student characteristics and teacher quality."
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/05/090527072819.htm
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:48 AM on May. 29, 2009

• Above poster, I believe it has more to do with the neighborhoods. If I were a teacher, I'd be reluctant to teach in some of the schools in inner-city neighborhoods. It's not about race, but personal safety.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 5:59 AM on May. 29, 2009

• lexi if you're right then we must speculate that the inner-city schools are filled of black students.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:06 AM on May. 29, 2009

• I agree with lexlexy. I don not think the nation is racist, only individual people. I do think it still is behavior that is allowed. Look at the post about separate Proms in Mississippi. Right now there is a link between socio-ecomonic and race. but I think that a lot that has to do with education levels and residual cultural left overs from oppression.
    fireball1978

Answer by fireball1978 at 6:55 AM on May. 29, 2009

• Here is my take on racism. For thousands of years races and cultures were almost completely separate from each other. It was common for someone to go their entire lives without seeing someone of another race. So they did not know about each other, were ignorant of each others' cultures and lives. Ignorance breeds fear, fear breeds hatred. Considering how long the human race has existed, the idea of other races living in the same community is still very new. And old ideas get passed around and taught as fact. Does that make racism OK? Hell no, racism is very, very wrong. But more and more people are seeing that. So while racism is alive and well in America, it is decreasing greatly every generation. America as a whole is no longer a racist nation, but it still has a lot of work to do to become as color blind as it needs to be.

mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 6:55 AM on May. 29, 2009

• America itself? No.

Various groups in America? Of course.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 7:46 AM on May. 29, 2009

• commenting on the replies by Lexylex and anon.....I don't think those teachers who choose not to work at schools that are made up of mostly minorities should be considered racist. There is a big difference in caring for those people in the inner city, and being willing to risk your life and your happiness to actually move there and work there. It's a statistical fact that there's more crime in inner-city neighborhoods with minority groups. Statistical facts aren't racist, they're just facts.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 8:16 AM on May. 29, 2009

• As for the OP....I don't think you can generalize the US as a whole. There are parts of US that contain more tolerant people and parts that don't. I think you get more and less racism (and other intolerance) depending on where you go.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 8:19 AM on May. 29, 2009