Anyone taking Zoloft AND breastfeeding notice side effects in the baby?

I want to know what to look for if my 7 week old starts feeling the side effects of the meds. All the literature says the side effects should be weighed against the effects of a depressed mom, but they dont mention the ACTUAL side effects the infant might get...

Asked by oohcynthia at 10:57 AM on Jun. 21, 2008 in Health

• I was prescribed zoloft during pregnancy ( But DID NOT TAKE IT) And started to take it after the baby was born and she was restless and cranky... I went to a new doctor and she said that paxil was the best to take while breastfeeding..I hated to take anything while nursing.. I just weaned my self off of it because i was withdrawling from it before it was time for me to take my next dose. So Good luck

Answer by emturner at 11:19 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• These warnings that they give in the literature are more to protect them in case of lawsuits then to inform you. Call your Pharmacist and ask all drug related questions. They are wonderful! so very helpful and their knowledge of drugs far outweighs the knowledge of your doctor. Drugs are their specialty. Even if the drug companies tell you that it relatively many times have these drugs been used by moms to only be pulled and then the ill effects are told. After everyone has used the drugs. It is like we are human guinea pigs. I would not take anything, unless I absolutely had to. I have seen too many lawsuits on drug companies ...after the damage is already done. Make the call to the Pharmacist and make your own informed decision. good luck

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 11:40 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I took antidepressants during pregnancy and breastfeeding my son. Can't remember the name of the meds but he is FINE now, almost 4 and loves reading, talks well, is not ADD or ADHD (I got off of the meds when he was around 8 months old)...To me, not having post-pardom (sp?) depression was worth the risk, but it is a very personal choice.

• I took Zoloft and bf my daughter for 15 months... she was/is perfect in every way!

Answer by Ashleysmommy422 at 1:44 PM on Sep. 17, 2008