Can I say a big cheesy thank you to the more tolerant religious folks around here?

Ugh this is kinda stupid, but I just wanted to thank the Christians, pagans, and everyone else that have answered all of my questions about their particular beliefs. I was raised pentecostal (SHOCKER!), but my family never really explained anything about Christianity or any other religions to me. It's interesting to find out why people did the things they did while I was in church. Even though I'm no longer a Christian, it's still fun to study =]

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 7:44 AM on May. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• No problem hun. I show the same acceptance and respect to you (and try to show everyone else) that I would like in return. I am pretty confident that I'm not always going to get it, but oh well, I try.
    And I know exactly were you are coming from. My mom especially wanted me to believe what the church told me. She never was willing to talk about other religions. So, when I got old enough, I started asking other people and looking for answers myself.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 8:31 AM on May. 29, 2009

• Don't worry anshley and caitwrx, your parents have a promise. Train up a child in the way they should go and when he is old he will not depart. The bible also says that the promise of the Holy GHost was to their children and down the future generations. You WILL find your way back to truth. sooner or later. I am praying for your parents and you. God Bless you both!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on May. 29, 2009

• I have noticed that there is such a difference between being Christian and "religious". To me, being religious is actively participating in your belief's rituals (all or almost all of them).

Where as being a Christian, while I hold on to my way of believing as a Christian, I am not a "religious Christian". Does this make sense?

My grandmother was a religious Christian and that made me walk away from my faith for years. I could NOT stand to have her way of being Christian forced on me.

Then again, I see it in this manner for ANY belief/religion/faith. While I do have my faith, I don't have to outwardly do things to show my loyalty to it or whom I worship.
    pr0udm0m_0f_3

Answer by pr0udm0m_0f_3 at 11:23 AM on May. 29, 2009

• Anon....Nice! Lets just turn them FURTHER away and make them go running off scared and pissed. Cool. If you were a "true believer" you also would have shown yourself instead of hiding. Did Jesus hide as he spoke? No. So, why are YOU ashamed to "witness"?
    pr0udm0m_0f_3

Answer by pr0udm0m_0f_3 at 11:24 AM on May. 29, 2009

• Aww your welcome. I think you are awesome too. I was brought up in a Southern Baptist church and the only other religion I was taught was Methodist. Well I did have my Great Grandmother who was a huge influence nurturing the Pagan side of me. I love my family but we don't see eye to eye when it comes to a relationship with the divine. Most of them are respectful of my decision but a couple of them will always give me crap. But we ALL agree to disagree.
    To the anon. I am into my 40's and I have been officially a Pagan for a long time now. So your theory is not well founded.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 11:34 AM on May. 29, 2009

• I was talking to the pentetcostal believing moms you do not qualify according to scripture so your comment will be ignored.
    Anonymous

• I agree. It is fun to learn and study about different religions and beliefs. It also helps me to answer some questions without sounding so ignorant....lol.
    I appreciate the kind answers from different groups as well......
    See, we CAN all get along.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 1:08 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I am raising my children to follow Christ by HIS example & not to follow me because I stumble & fail just like everyone else in this life. I try to answer any questions about other religions & have even got one of them a book about the Darwin Theory from the library (though I prayed like crazy while he had it). My life is not a perfect example of Christ or His love but I try to let the Holy Spirit guide me & to show His love to ALL others as much as I can. Being a Christian is not a religion but a way of life...it's a relationship with unfailing love from Christ & total imperfect love from us. No matter what, he loves you & wants all Christians to show you that...
    missamerica1

Answer by missamerica1 at 2:16 PM on May. 29, 2009

• All I can say is thank you - You're sweet and I hope you were talking to me. I strive to be tollerant and educate those that ask. But from time to time the ignorance and hate really make me sick and get me all fired up... When I'm like that - Just run! lol!

Join us at www.CafeMom.com/group/EndReligiousHate

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:29 PM on May. 29, 2009