I need someone who is Catholic to answer this, please?

Without getting into any great detail, essentially I am wondering if I show up at my local catholic church and request a blessing and some holy water, am I going to look like a nutbag?

I was raised a baptist, but am a non-denominational practicing Christian. I dont know if that even matters, but I dont want to show up at the Church and be shot a look like, "this isnt the movies ya know..." Do I call ahead? Will I be able to talk to someone since I am not Catholic?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:11 AM on May. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• after talking to my very catholic husband he says the water is already blessed.the churches are usually open bring in a small container and get some.i did.nobody said anything.there are prayers you can say.(you can get them online)i asked my italian mil.ya dont go into a church and say you thik you are posessed by vodo...i did this and to tell you the truth it didnt do anything...you just have to believe...
    raineydays377

Answer by raineydays377 at 8:29 AM on May. 29, 2009

• What do you want the holy water for? To bless your house or something? I don't think they would turn you away, but might be curious as to your motives.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:12 AM on May. 29, 2009

• you can call and speak with someone ahead of time or show up and speak to someone when you get there. Im sure they will ask why your looking for these things and they will gladly do it for you. Its not a big deal. Do you want them to bless you or the water? I know they usually have their holy water sitting out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:13 AM on May. 29, 2009

• I'd like them to bless me, yes- and the holy water for my home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:14 AM on May. 29, 2009

• I don't see any problem with your request. Go for it.
    sweetmom1007

Answer by sweetmom1007 at 8:14 AM on May. 29, 2009

• Since you are annonymous, I have to ask here: Have you considered oil to bless your home? Protestants use it to bless, heal, etc. and certainly a clergy person would do the honor of blessing you and your home. Just a thought, not to disregard your question. I think this is a beautiful idea if it isn't out of fear of demons or something. I wouldn't think you are a nutbag for that either.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 8:18 AM on May. 29, 2009

• We are getting ready to purchase the home we live in. Also, I'm getting ready to have a homebirth here in my home. We've hit a few bumps in the road but I'm praying for a safe and peaceful summer up ahead as we acquire this home we live in. Terrible story... we were buying this home on a land contract when one day the sheriffs office comes and forecloses on it. The person we were buying it from lives in another state and basically just disappeared. Now we have to buy it from the foreclosure auction, mid-june... I'm due to give birth any time now. We could really just use all the help we can get to ensure a smooth, safe delivery and acquisition of our home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:24 AM on May. 29, 2009

• BTW, you can make your own holy water - not that I think the church would care. It doesn't have to be blessed by an "ordained priest". If you're interested, PM me. :)
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 9:34 AM on May. 29, 2009

• you dont need water or oil to bless your home. All you need is to try to follow bible principles, be close to God and He will bless you. No human can bless you only God can.
    “Jehovah is far away from the wicked ones, but the prayer of the righteous ones he hears.”—PROVERBS 15:29.

Follow his words and God will hear your prayers.
    Anonymous

• If you're not Catholic, just go to your church that you do go to, or a non-denominational church, take them a small bottle of oil and ask them to pray over it and bless it to make it anointing oil. You can do the same with water. Or you could pray over for yourself. My family occasionally will anoint a bottle of oil to pray over the home and bless the home.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 12:15 PM on May. 29, 2009