Have you tried beer to kill snails?

Has anyone successfully used a small bowl of beer in the garden to kill snails and slugs? I have heard this works. The lower leaves on my plants are getting eaten.

lifeasinoit

Asked by lifeasinoit at 8:41 AM on May. 29, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Nah...half the time I end up drinking all the beer, it kills nothing but gives me a crazy buzz! HA!

Good luck with the snail killing.
    mrstremblay

Answer by mrstremblay at 9:37 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• my mom has done it b4 & it worked
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:36 AM on May. 29, 2009

• It kills slugs, I don't know about snails. I had slugs just decimating my hosta plants and I put a pie plate of beer in the bed and boom end of problem.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:38 AM on May. 29, 2009

• I've heard of it working. Wouldn't hurt to try. Just buy a brand you like so you can drink the rest {wink}.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 11:35 AM on May. 29, 2009

• yes it works,
    yaffamommy

Answer by yaffamommy at 12:48 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Yes, it works great! You can also try crushed egg shells for slugs & snails. It has to be a solid line, though, or they'll just go around them. They won't cross the shells because it will rip up their bodies. Copper is also an excellent deterrent (you can buy rolls of copper wire to put around your beds, especially raised beds) because they won't cross that, either. The copper causes a chemical reaction with the slime slugs & snails ooze out to move and that's what kills them.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 1:25 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I did it. I put out a half dozen traps and was so happy when I found a dozen dead snails the next morning. Then I went out with a flashlight the next night... ARRRGHHH. I started just picking up the snails and putting them in a grocery bag - I stopped counting after 300. And that was just the first night! The physical removing of them helped a lot though - the next few nights I got far fewer snails and had no problems after that.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:42 PM on May. 29, 2009