Miralax for 3 1/2 year old?

My little boy had two very large painful BMs on Wednesday, and is now very afraid to push. His appetite seems to have slowed a bit (and he was a fairly picky eater anyway), but he's still drinking fluids (mostly juice, some milk and a very little bit of Sprite). I called the Dr. about giving him a stool softener, and they suggested 1 tsp. of Miralax in clear liquid once/day. Have any of you had any luck with this? I feel so bad for him - after seeing what he pushed out Wednesday, I can appreciate why he's screaming and afraid to push. I'm trying to sneak in some fiber, but he just won't have it. Any input is appreciated.

lb304

Asked by lb304 at 8:41 AM on May. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Miralax works great. It does not make their stomach cramp and usually works within a few hours. My son had to be on it for almost 2 years. He constantly had hard and large BM's. My son is a picky eater too but my doc said with what he does eat there was no reason why he couldn't poop normally. It took almost 2 years for him to get used to pooping. but give your LO the miralax soon. If he has too many hard poops, he will be scared to poop like my son got after a while. Then it is hard to get them to go potty. If you put the miralax in with reg. milk, I couldn't get my LO to take it. Eventhough it has no taste. The only thing that worked for me is to give it to him in chocolate milk. I just used the nesquick and reg. milk. and if 1 tsp doesn't work, try 2 tsp. the next day. (2 tsp was my sons amount he had to take daily. Good Luck
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 8:54 AM on May. 29, 2009

• My in-laws have to give their 5 year old miralax everyday and it really seems to help him. They have been giving it to him for a little over a year now and it's helped a lot. Give it a try!
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 8:55 AM on May. 29, 2009

• I use Miralax with my 2 yo. as needed. You have to give it a few days to work, so don't expect immediate results. It's very gentle, and he won't even know it's in his drink.
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 9:01 AM on May. 29, 2009

• OP Here - Thank you both so much! I only gave him a 1/2 tsp last night (a full tsp seemed like so much and I didn't want it to have the opposite effect and give him runny stools). I'll give him a full tsp tonight. He took it last night no problem with Sprite and a straw (I bet he'll drink anything as long as he can drink it with a straw!). He's already afraid to push - I keep telling him how brave and strong he is, and how proud I am of him, but he's still afraid to push. I hope that when the full dose of Miralax kicks in, it'll soften up right away and he'll just go without really thinking about it.

Thanks again! You've really helped set my mind at ease!
    lb304

Answer by lb304 at 9:01 AM on May. 29, 2009

• Indeed do the Mirlax. My daughter (oldest) at around that age got so severely blocked, she forced her colon to enlarge/expand from the fecal matter building up. It didn't break until the doctor had done a rectal check with a finger. As he did and pulled out, he broke up what was in there and she had a massive BM....After that, she was on Mirlax twice a day for about a year.
    pr0udm0m_0f_3

Answer by pr0udm0m_0f_3 at 11:16 AM on May. 29, 2009

• Miralax is awesome. My daughter has been on it for over a year. She takes 2 tsp a day - her doctor told us to start at 1/2 the adult dose (about 2.5 tsp) and work down until I found a good dose for her. If I accidently forget a dose, she is miserable for days until she finally goes.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:28 AM on May. 29, 2009

• I have used this on my DD for a while now. As long as you use it regularly, it works great! Like stated before, it is very easy on their stomachs and they don't even realize you have put it in their liquids.
    Anonymous

• I used it for 1 1/2 years with my daughter. Then I read about what is in it. Chemically it is very close to anti-freeze. My daughter was withholding and was on the adult dose and still on having 1 bowel movement a week (explosive). After reading about Miralax poisoning, I told her pediatrician that I wanted a different medication. She told me about mineral oil. It is a lot messier, but works just as well. Then I used OxyPowder (magnesium) for daily maintenance. I had to teach how everyone poops and use a reward system to get daily BMs. She is now off of all these and is fine.
    jthor

Answer by jthor at 8:44 PM on May. 30, 2009