To moms with school age children.

During the summer months do you give your children school work to do, how much, how often and where do you get your resources? I do. They go to a great summer camp where they are active all day swimming, field trips, etc. After I pick them up they will sit down and do about an hours worth of work plus do some reading. Anybody else?

twilite2000

Asked by twilite2000 at 9:39 AM on May. 29, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My son is limited to an hour of screen time a day and is required to have at least one hour of reading or some other mental stimulation. Those are doctors guidelines though. Last summer, when they weren't, he was still doing some school work daily. There are a few resources online, and we get workbooks at Walmart too. Plus he always has a partially completed math workbook from school too.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 9:44 AM on May. 29, 2009

• my little girl is only three and will start k-3 this fall but my nieces and nephew do that. my sister in law gives them little work sheets to do and sometimes makes them write a paragraph about things like where they are going for summer vacation or what favorite games they play. this does a world of good but she does it like every other day.
    rose549

Answer by rose549 at 9:44 AM on May. 29, 2009

• I am 24 years old My daughter is 5 years old and is about to graduate kindergarten. she is very intellegent. I give my daughter school activities. even if it doesnt "look" like work, like flash cards i.e state, capital, brain quest,, math book, writing, games i.e bingo, memory, .. no matter what day it is or where we are even after school when she comes home and has NO homework that week she is always doing something.she is always reading for atleast 30 mins a day writing, and doing some kind of math. I buy some math books at wal mart and she does atleast one page a day sometimes she wants to do more. and writing i.e write a letter to grandma, or for daddy before he deploys. I think it is a good thing that people keep their children on track and continuously have them doing something even if it doesnt look educational(games) trick them on learning. make it fun and playful. make learning enjoyable not all boring homework. :)
    jessbcuz23

Answer by jessbcuz23 at 9:49 AM on May. 29, 2009

• My kids do well in school, so unless they are struggling in a certain subject I let summer be summer. My older DD's go to summer camp for 12 nights and absolutely love it. They take art classes as well as volunteer at our local zoo. I work so I really miss my kids and love the fact that in the summer we can just hang out and do whatever the mood strikes. My kids go to catholic school and the ciriculum is tough. They need the mental health break of summer. My two oldest are in high school and there is always a summer reading project given by the English teacher that they will have in the fall. I think that is plenty. Summer should be relaxing and enjoyable in my book.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:54 AM on May. 29, 2009

• My children also does well in school, if they are having trouble maybe I will give them something, but for the most part I will let them enjoy their summer, trips, summer camp, traveling and they just love swimming.
    tessiemae41

Answer by tessiemae41 at 10:04 AM on May. 29, 2009

• Its summer i let them run. I dont even see my 15 year old except for when its curfew and he comes busting in the door at 11.03. My other 3 kids go to day camp. we go to the beach and what not on the weekend but no school stuff at all. Kids need a break too.

lostshel

Answer by lostshel at 10:08 AM on May. 29, 2009

• Every day activities can be turned into school lessons.
    Camping and Traveling - Geography, Biology, History, Astrology, current events, socialization, math
    Fishing - Biology, socialization
    Zoo - Biology, socialization
    Grocery shopping - Math, socialization
    Cooking - math

I'm going to homeschool. While my daughter will get breaks it will be year round schooling.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 10:18 AM on May. 29, 2009

• When they were in elementary school I would give them a homeschool curriculum that involved outdoor and town activities so it didn't feel like a classroom. They learned more about animals, bugs, nature, science, weather, and such and then I would have them write their own stories about it or draw a picture about it when we got home.
    Now that they are in high school I don't force them to continue school work during the summer, but I do insist that they read as often as possible. They visit the library weekly and they get a gift card to Border's for the summer to purchase what they want.
    This year is different, though. My 15 y/o failed English9 and has to repeat it in 10th grade, so I have a curriculum for her to do this summer to help her with it and get a jump start when the school year begins. She will only have to work on it 2-3 hours per day; Mon thru Fri.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 11:03 AM on May. 29, 2009