What ratio of water, cereal, formula, and/or fruit would be best to start with?

This is my daughter's usual feeding schedule:
7 am - 6oz formula
11 am - 6 oz formula (every other day, 4 oz and 2 oz fruit)
3 pm - 6 oz formula
7 pm - 4 oz formula, 2 oz vegetable

That is about 6 oz every four hours, but recently she has started to get hungry about an hour before her usual feeding time. She is 6 months old, and slightly big for her age. I am thinking of replacing her first daily feeding with rice cereal, or a mixture of the cereal, formula, and/or fruit.

EternalChild86

Asked by EternalChild86 at 9:47 AM on May. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no need for the cereal. It has little to no nutritional value. Personally I wouldn't gp below 24 oz milk but that is just me.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 9:54 AM on May. 29, 2009

• I agree with the Colleen, rice cereal isn't absolutely necessary. Maybe you could try upping her formula intake to seven ounces and seeing how that goes? Other than that your schedule seems pretty solid to me. My daughter is five months old and eats a jar of baby food every night at bedtime. She gets eight ounces of formula about four or five times a day, depending on when she wakes up.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:06 AM on May. 29, 2009

• Increase her formula. If she's hungry she needs the calories and nutrition right now.

At 6 months my boys were (each) taking two jars of stage 2 food per meal and 8oz formula, plus 3 snacks of finger foods and juice/water mix (except formula for bedtime snack). We were also starting to introduce table foods as well. They were taking at least 32oz of formula per day and that was a DROP. lol They still like their food, too. rofl
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:54 AM on May. 29, 2009

• I have tried upping her formula, but I have found that too much liquid makes her ill.
    Perhaps I should try veggies twice a day instead of just once.
    EternalChild86

Answer by EternalChild86 at 11:28 AM on May. 29, 2009