Why do my dark clothes have bleach stains on them, when I didn't use any bleach for that load?

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but I'm new to the whole "using bleach" thing. My mom never really used it when I was growing up.

Does the bleach residue stay in your washer after you take the white clothes out? Is there a way to stop your darks from getting bleach stains? Luckily nothing important has been stained yet.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 9:59 AM on May. 29, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I have had the same problem in the past. What I do now is do all brights and darks first then do the loads that use bleach. After wards I run the washer on a quick rinse cycle to make sure the bleach is out.
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 10:07 AM on May. 29, 2009

• After you wash whites with bleach,,run your washer thew a rinse cycle..Before you wash any other cloth.

Answer by louise2 at 10:08 AM on May. 29, 2009

• could be left over from another load....
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 10:19 AM on May. 29, 2009

• I also run an extra rinse cycle after a bleach load.
    lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 10:22 AM on May. 29, 2009

• I doubt it is left over from a previous load. If you are using bleach and get any of it on any surface of the washer, and then toss in darks it will spot your laundry. Also, I had this happen to me when I threw a few colored things into the dryer with a load of bleached clothes. Try diluting your bleach with water before you pour it in, this may help cut down on the problem. I always do bleach last.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:37 AM on May. 29, 2009

• Yes, I had this problem once many years ago so I began to give my bleached wash loads an extra rinse.
    Then I would do a wash of regular white clothes that didn't need bleach afterwards, so if there was any bleach residue, it wouldn't harm anything.
    You can also run a load of warm water only if you don't have a white load to do in order to rinse your washing machine.
    Sorry about your clothes. :(
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 11:33 AM on May. 29, 2009