How do you clean out your washer with bleach?

I think it was someone on here who said you can put a certain amount of bleach in your washer to "clean" it out and make it work better. Anyone know about that method, or any other ways to clean the inside of the washer?

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 10:00 AM on May. 29, 2009 in Home & Garden

• i just run it with about a half or full cup of bleach in mine with hot water cycle and let it run to kill any germs that my be left there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on May. 29, 2009

• I run mine with a full cup of bleach, but now they also sell these hockey puck sized tablets that are made for just this purpose. I also do this for my dishwasher.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:34 AM on May. 29, 2009

• I actually use a cup of white vinegar to a full load of warm water so that the crud get cleaned off behind the drum and in the hoses.
    Then I run 2 full loads of cold water alone to rinse it thoroughly.
    I figure that I already use bleach for certain loads so bacteria is already being killed in that fashion. I also run a regular load of whites after runing a load of bleaches and giving them an extra rinse. I don't want to take the chance of spots getting on darker clothing.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 11:30 AM on May. 29, 2009

• I also use white vinegar for my washer and also as my fabric softener, avoiding bleach completely because it is so toxic (not to mention it can ruin your clothes!). The vinegar will kill any germs that might be lingering in your machine, so no is bleach necessary. To keep my whites & coloreds nice and bright, I add a half cup of borax (found in the laundry aisle of many grocery stores) to each load.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 1:20 PM on May. 29, 2009