For the pro-gun moms in states with cc permits

I am both, just for the record. Have you been active against legislation to require gun registration? How do you feel about the cc permits? I think the permit is worse than registration because you are incriminating yourself as a more active and 'dangerous' gun owner if the government is ever bold enough to try to confiscate them. So the question is, how is it okay to sign up for a permit, but not to register our guns?

callmeann

Asked by callmeann at 10:07 AM on May. 29, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Well I am totally for the second amendment and have a cc however i don't think just anyone should have a gun that wants it. There are many people I don't want to see carry a gun. However I would like to see it like the west. You can carry without concealing with no permit.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:25 AM on May. 29, 2009

• We have both handguns and rifles. No conceal carry permits though. It has always been my feeling that it made you look premediative should something ever happen. However, I do follow the advice of my grandfather. Assume every person around you carries a gun in their pocket or purse and behave accordingly. I never took it to mean be fearful but respectful at all times. It sounds a little odd..but it really isn't bad advice.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:31 AM on May. 29, 2009

• So, carpy, do you mean that you think we should have registration, or some other way of addressing someone's fitness to carry?
    As for the West, I think it's just their district or circuit courts' interpretation. I believe all citizens everywhere have the right to carry if it's out in the open. I think it was a very early case that set the precedent that we have the right to carry, but concealment indicates intent to misuse the right.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 11:44 AM on May. 29, 2009

• The reason I ask is that my husband bought me a Sig Sauer for our anniversary (how romantic) and a Glock for himself since some people may assume - wrongly - that his job may involve lots of cash on the premises. He is a sales manager at a Toyota store and closes up, many nights.
    He says he will get a permit before he will carry it. I think it's a bad idea and will bring the stormtroopers to our door first.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 11:49 AM on May. 29, 2009

• Registration and permits only penalize/keep track of law abiding gun owners. Criminals don't bother with such things.

Personally, if I should feel a need to carry my little darling in my purse I will carry it, permit or not. Getting a permit can be a difficult process in some areas such as mine. I was assaulted in a grocery store parking lot in broad daylight, thankfully I was able to fight the guy off with a bag of potatoes. My hubby has secret service level security clearance for his job, that means we have been investigated 6 ways to Sunday. I can't get a permit out of our local office! That's nuts. If I feel the need, I will carry and worry about the consequences should they ever come about.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 1:19 PM on May. 29, 2009

• That's how I see it. I get that the permit supposedly certifies that you have had training and a background check, rather than listing what guns you have. It still seems to me that they would harass a person with a permit over someone who registered a gun bought years ago without any new inclusion on any BATF records.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 1:54 PM on May. 29, 2009