Christianity: a religion or just another political P.O.V.?

I am a person who believes in a higher power, sometimes known as God, however I do not believe in the Bible. I believe it to be propaganda and I think that many people pick and choose which parts of the Bible to follow based on whatever suits his/her purpose. Which begs the question, Christianity, a religion or just another political P.O.V. I say this, not to offend, but to point out that many political arguments are made under the guise of Christianity, even thought those arguments are often attacking, hateful and sometimes even cruel and Christianity is supposed to be about love, embracing your neighbor and FORGIVENESS. Aren't Christian taught to forgive those who trespass against them as God forgives their trespasses? Or has Christianity just remained a way to hate in the name of God?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on May. 29, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Its not Christianty that is the problem, it is the people who wave it around like a banner. Christianity is what it is, however it seems like it is the people that lay claim to it that is at the heart of your problem.

You yourself have already pointed out that these people (certainly not all Christians), are being inconsistance and even contradictory with their faith. So, again that points to the people, not the faith.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 3:13 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Don't you really mean:

I thought Christians are supposed to be stupid pushovers?

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 10:40 AM on May. 29, 2009

• Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Everyone is entitled to formulate their opinion on whatever they so choose.

Really, no need to be judgemental on the values one holds and where they get their direction and guidance from. To each their own. Just be prepared to debate it :o)

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:45 AM on May. 29, 2009

• I think mustbegrace, is a perfect example of what you are refering to, OP.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on May. 29, 2009

• there are 37,000 different religions that make a claim to be Christian. Are you assuming all of them are this way and if so how can you come to that conclusion? Have you studied each and every one? Or perhaps you're speaking about the ones you've come in contact.

Please continue your explanation.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 10:46 AM on May. 29, 2009

• Well said Ladybug. IMO, OP is making a mass assumption based on a few encounters. I don't see validity in "pinning" ALL Christians as she described.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:48 AM on May. 29, 2009

• My reasoning in asking is because I don't want to think that you're one of those people who lump all groups together based on a few things they may have in common. I'm quite sure you've never uttered the words "those claiming to be _______ are all the same"; therefore lumping everyone in the same category.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 10:50 AM on May. 29, 2009

• I agree w/Grace just because we are Christian it doesnt mean we lay down and take what the world is feeding us. We have every right as those who make choices not to believe as we do, yet we are harassed and subjugated by society and government to stay within our boundaries when our own rights are trampled on. Every other aggressive group is always whining hate crimes if you offend them in the least by disagreeing but if an act like Church burnings or taking Kindergarten children in classes that teach about homosexuality as they are doing in Alameda Ca. , we are suppose to let it roll off our backs. We are not ducks we are like Eagles.

Vivian63

Answer by Vivian63 at 10:59 AM on May. 29, 2009

• Christian is a religion
    babyboomer1957

Answer by babyboomer1957 at 11:11 AM on May. 29, 2009

• Seriously? You are seriously asking this question?

While people DO use Christianity in politics, and people do terrible things in the name of God, that doesn't mean that Christianity is just a tool for politicians. Of course it is a religion.

By the way, you smell just a little bit like a troll.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:16 AM on May. 29, 2009