My first Craft Show!!!

I am going to my first craft show in 3 weeks. I am very excited but nervous also. I make hair bows and will be attempting to make pillow case dresses. I am not sure how many bows I should make and also how to display them? I would love some suggestions. Also I have found a few wholesale suppliers that I can get ribbon from but would also like to get the sports water bottles that you can monogram. I am not having any luck finding these....

Jacemom

Asked by Jacemom at 10:39 AM on May. 29, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Make several different designs for the display, maybe even wear a bow yourself. Maybe set out a few pictures of people wearing your bows and get a white or black sheet to lay on the tables. Put boxes of different heights under the sheet and lay the bows out that way. If they are easy to make, you could take the ribbon with you and make some while you are there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on May. 29, 2009

• good luck! OK so one easy way to display hairbows... go to lowes/home depot and buy a 2'x2' piece of pre-cut plywood/mdf. Buy a bag of wooden clothespins, and glue them to the board.. every 3-4 inches or as widely spaced apart as you would need to have the bows not all smashed together. Paint the whole thing one solid color like white, so the bows really pop. Then you can just easily clip the bows right onto that sheet of wood and move them around easily.. and your customers can easily remove them to look at them. Its a very simple, inexpensive display idea. Now... to display the board you need to either get an easel (like a painters easel.. for around $10-30 at Hobby Lobby) or a tabletop easel.

IKEA has really nice, cheap tablecloths.. they are called "IRIS" and cost 5.95 each, they are nice heavy tablecloths and can be easily cleaned.

more coming...

LuminousMom

Answer by LuminousMom at 11:59 PM on May. 29, 2009

• OK so part two... as far as how many to make.. that really depends on the show.. but I would say it doesnt hurt to make as many as you can! The more you have, and the better variety of color, the more chance you have to sell because someone can find something that appeals to every taste. A really good way to judge how many you need to make is this...
    Say you paid $100 for your booth, and you charge $5.00 per bow. You need to sell 20 bows just to make back your booth fee. That may seem like a small amount.. but keep in mind the economy sucks and people arent buying as much, so it may take all day to sell that much. I would say you should have at least 100 bows made.. but thats just me! When I do shows I bring 50% more product than I think I can sell, just in case. Sometimes I sell it all.. sometimes I sell hardly anything! Depends on the day.. the crowd.. the show.. and the local demographic. Its hit or miss.
    LuminousMom

Answer by LuminousMom at 12:02 AM on May. 30, 2009

• Yeah definately make some sort of display unit that puts them at eye level....when you have items just flat on a table it is easy to not even see things and have people pass by. If you can look on eBay or on craigslist for some foam heads and maybe some with hair or cheap wigs and display a few of them on the heads for show, perhaps have a mirror on hand in case any little girls or moms want to try them on.

I agree with the other poster too, you have to think about how many you have to sell to break even and then make a profit. I've done shows with and without my mom for years and we've both had our share of coming home crying because we didn't sell a single thing.

But also make sure you bring bags to bag sales in, make business cards or flyers and give one to each buyer, perhaps even have a sign up sheet so you can e-mail buyers of sales or new designs down the line. Have plenty of money for change, a calculator...
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:08 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• ....maybe even a receipt book if you want to give receipts. Try to smile and say hello to everyone who walks by, try not to sit too often, don't read a book, talk on your phone or not be accessible. Make sure whether or not the craft show requires a tax id to be shown, many do and if you don't have one they may ask you to leave. make sure prices are clearly listed, and perhaps have a special offer like buy 3 get one free.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 5:10 PM on Jun. 2, 2009