Has there ever been a question you've gotten from a mom that you thought everyone knew?

Sometimes it seems like moms ask things that I thought were common knowledge. Not saying they should be psychic, but I think I knew some of this stuff even as a first time parent at 18! Guess it just goes to show how different people can be!

RyleeMendez

Asked by RyleeMendez at 10:41 AM on May. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• the one that ask about a concern with heath and exspect us "CAFE MOM'S" NON-DOCTORS

If I hadn't asked for opinions on my DD I never would have known that she had reflux and milk and soy protein allergies. My doctors just told me it was colic.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 1:31 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Yeah..I thought some stuff was, but then again,my mom knew nothing and I know so much more now than when I was 19. I knew alot then though.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:45 AM on May. 29, 2009

• I do think that sometimes, but it was my baby brother that taught me the most about baby's, like how often to feed, cord care, burping, etc.... Some women don't have younger siblings or are close in age, my brother is 12 years younger than me and that helped me alot with my own... Also some women just want a common bond and help on things from other more experienced moms. I try to help if and when I can.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:45 AM on May. 29, 2009

• I had no sibling and my mom knew nothing. To bad I didn't have CafeMom then. I read everything I could get my hands on.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:53 AM on May. 29, 2009

• I had a lot of baby-sitting experience before I had DD. But she was so tiny and so helpless and all mine that I was a nervous wreck. We had a lot of breast feeding problems so I would just stop random women and ask them about their breast feeding relationship if they had one. LOL.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 11:42 AM on May. 29, 2009

• lol This is why babies should come with a manual!
    RyleeMendez

Answer by RyleeMendez at 12:03 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Well, I don't know very much - I will admit to that - I kept waiting for those "mommy instincts " to kick in and they never came!! I have to read eveyrhing and I call my mom all the time - i am 30! I had never been around babies or kids - i was the youngest of 2 so no experience and my husband, well, you'd think he was from a 1950 tv show -where you tell a child something one time and they listened, he expects that to really happen ...lol!! I guess after my son's colic and my insecurities that came with that, I decided not to be afraid to ask when I didn't know and try to learn as much as I can to help my son!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:15 PM on May. 29, 2009

• i figured that they are just asking anything to post a question. like the one (i've missed my period could i be pregnant)??? well that is usally the case, and take a test to be sure i thought any fool knew that?? or the one that ask about a concern with heath and exspect us "CAFE MOM'S" NON-DOCTORS to diagnose them instead of seeking medical attention. and my favorite one, the one's about the cheating man, abusive man, lazy man, won't commit man, ect...they ask what should they do? why do we need to answer the question they alreadt have the answer to? well this is cafe mom a place for mothers to go and ask any and everything.
    mememommie

Answer by mememommie at 12:41 PM on May. 29, 2009

• common sense, it's that common. Everyone's experience is different. I know lots of kid songs and nursery rhymes from childhood and becuase both I and my mom worked at day cares so had experience. i could not understand how my huband *didn't* know any! I thought *all* kids learned kid songs and nursery rhymes, but nope. Same with thermometers. Not everyone knows to add a degree if taking it under arm and not everyone knows you have a burp between feedings. I just doesn't come naturally to everyone.
    Anonymous