A couple of breastfeeding issues I'm stumped on:

1.) The same amount of time can pass between feedings, but I always have loads more milk when I wake up. Why is that?

2.) My milk comes out so fast that it chokes my 2 week old and he lets go. I've tried sitting up and leaning back so that the milk doesn't shoot down his throat, but he still can't handle the flow. This has been going on for a few days now, and he seems to not want to latch as deep as he did before and he'll slurp and smack now (which can hurt). He'll only nurse for a few minutes at a time.

3.)Possibly because of my milk flow issues, he'll nurse nearly around the clock for short bursts for 2 or 3 hours straight, then he'll sleep for 2-4 hours. Is there some way I can get him to nurse more effectively so that I'm only confined to the couch with my shirt up for half an hour instead of 3 hours? I don't mean "schedule" him.

I can meet with a lactation consultant next week but I wanted some advice sooner.

laadeedah

Asked by laadeedah at 10:50 AM on May. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Im not sure i fully understood your concerns and im to lazy to re read lol but if its about how fast it comes out and that you have alot try pumpming some and saving it in the freezer for anytime you might not be able to feed him.
    chukuku

Answer by chukuku at 10:53 AM on May. 29, 2009

• At two weeks what you are descibing is pretty normal, for the first month it seemed all i did was breast fed, it does get better, it just take some time for some babies. As for the flow, before you latch him on, express some milk out so he flow is slower for him... When we get full of milk, it can come out very fast because of the pressure, just pump some out and it should fix that problem.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:54 AM on May. 29, 2009

• 1. When your body is at rest it candevote more of its resources to things like producing milk. Thus it makes more.

2. Try placing your son in upright seated position at your breast to help with flow issues. OR express some milk prior to nursing so its not gushing.

3. Honestly I think it is just something about this age, it was like this for me too. Don't worry this phase doesn't last long.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 10:57 AM on May. 29, 2009

• I can't remember the answer to #1 right now, but I know solving #2 by pumping or hand expressing some of your milk before you latch him on will slow down how fast your milk comes out and help with #3 because he will have to latch on properly to get the milk out rather than just sitting back and letting it flow into his mouth.

I was a sprinkler in the beginning as well. lol.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 11:10 AM on May. 29, 2009

• I think this will help a lot! Oversupply

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:55 AM on May. 29, 2009

• Try pumping before nursing; it is a great idea to have breastmilk stored in the freezer so you can get out for a few hours.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:28 PM on May. 29, 2009

• what every one else said and also check out www.kellymom.com for all kinds of great breastfeeding advice. The strong let down (squirting across the room) is very common at 2 weeks old and does get better as they get older and your supply levels out more.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:56 PM on May. 29, 2009

• At two weeks, this is what my DD was like. Up until about 6-8 wks, she would eat very sporadically, sometimes every 30 mins. sometimes every 3 hrs, it wasn't really anything I could control. They say the babies regulate our milk up until about 6- 8 wks. I wanted to go insane and there were times I seriously wanted to give up, but as soon as it starts, it pretty much ends, so just keep letting him do his thing. I always had a lot of leaking and milk in the morning and that didn't stop until just recently (she's 12 weeks). Try feeding or pumping right away when you wake. I had that same prob. with my DD choking on my milk. If I laid down and had her on top of me so she had to suck up, that helped. They'll get used to it, she still takes breaks from nursing, like she'll stop and then take a breath and then start again. He'll get better at it as time goes on.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 2:48 PM on May. 29, 2009