• In the Spotlight:

picky eater!

my son will be 2 soon and he is still a very picky eater. my husband and i always cook our dinner and then put some aside for our son. but he never eats it. we've tried giving him things he used to like and new foods. all he wants to do is drink milk. i've talked to his doctor and they keep telling me it's a "phase" and he'll work himself out of it. but worried his not getting enough nurishment. oh, he's been taking vitamins too.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on May. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It is a phase, and how you handle it will determine whether or not he grows into a picky eater. It is time to start phasing out the cowmilk (unless, of couse, he is a baby cow); past the age of 2, the only beverage that a child needs is water.
    Here are some strategies:
    Start meals with vegetables, end them with fruits
    Kids love to dip: fruit in yogurt, veggies in hummus or salad dressing, whole wheat noodles and veggies in marinara
    Smoothies are great: frozen blueberries, frozen banana, orange juice, yogurt, kale; the kale is loaded with calcium and iron and the vitamin C increases the absorption of the vitamin C
    Put frozen peas and frozen blueberries on a plate.
    Whole grain toast with smashed avocado; avocado is loaded with good fats for developing brains.
    Good luck!

Answer by rkoloms at 11:49 AM on May. 29, 2009

• Yep the Dr, is right it is a phase, dont make a big deal over it or it will last longer than it should. Kids at this age are about control, and the only thing they can control is wht they eat, as he gets older and he knows it gets you all workd up he will use it against you LOL,,,, I know children that will only eat bread or pickles at that age, so dont worry to much..Just offer and leave it at that.. I do cook things my kids like, but if for dome reason on this day they dont like it, I just put it on there plate, if they eat thats great but if not I will not fix anything else.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:02 AM on May. 29, 2009

• My son was the same way. I just kept offering it to him and trying to give it to him myself. Not really forcing him but putting it to his mouth and putting it in but he usually spit it out. but he is 3 now and he is still a picky eater. He eats chicken nuggets ( i make them not precooked), spaghetti, peanut butter and jelly, eggs, pancakes, bacon, toast, reg. chicken. The child will not touch veggies even though he sees us eat them and he is offered every veggie in the book. He will eat bananas, grapes and apples but that is it for fruit. Sometimes I can get him to eat a hamburger. but the pediatrician tells me that as long as he is eating and I am offering him a variety of foods, he won't starve. I know this is not healthy, but take him to McDonald's and get him a happy. See if he will eat it. Tell McDonalds that you want fries with no salt. it seems they are serving salt sprinkled with fries here. Get the 4pc nugget meal.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 11:17 AM on May. 29, 2009

• He needs to eat what you put in front of him or he goes hungry. When he gets hungry enough he'll eat strained spinach if that's all there is to eat.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on May. 29, 2009

• my son is 2 1/2 and can still be very picky, but if i fix his faves i can't get him to fill up! he loves mac n cheese, ramen noodles, spagetti, pizza, and get this... fire cheetos! lol, some of it's healthy and some not... but i'm not worrying about it cuz every check up is a healthy one!
    deanamfinley

Answer by deanamfinley at 3:54 PM on May. 29, 2009