Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So my husband is in the Navy and....

we got orders.... We will be staying where we are until roughly the end of September. My question is: my son is in a Special Education Pre-school for 3 year olds. Next year he will automatically go into the four year old Pre-K program. Should I still put him in school for a month and hope that our next duty station will have a Pre-K program, or just hold off and wait until Kindergarten? I have a meeting on the second of June for his transition, and of course I'll talk to them then. What is your advice? What would you do in my situation?

Answer Question

Asked by AnnHenderson at 11:10 AM on May. 29, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

Level 2 (5 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • Place him in school. It will be good for him.

    Answer by LuvBug3 at 11:12 AM on May. 29, 2009

  • It really depends on how well he handles transitions. My girls don't do well with lots of changes. For them I would have waited. If he handles transitions or changes well then go for it.

    Answer by teamquinn at 11:13 AM on May. 29, 2009

  • U need to arange a meeting with the school district tht he will be going to after u move- at least talk to someone on the phone. I would send him the one month, especially if he likes school.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on May. 29, 2009

  • I would go ahead and put him in the school. He will still be getting the benefit of what he is taught in that short period of time. He also wont be behind if the next duty station does have a pre-K program.

    Answer by 2-1CavWife at 11:16 AM on May. 29, 2009

  • Plan on having him attend school for the month but do talk to his therapists and consider their opinions.

    Start making phone calls to your next duty station and finding out what programs they have. More than likely he'll have to be re-evaluated. However....I do know that were we are, an existing IEP has to be honored at least until the new district's evaluations and meetings are complete. So, he should (based on my limited knowledge that is) be able to continue his services there at least temporarily. But make those calls and have things lined up ahead of time, don't wait until you move.

    Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:39 AM on May. 29, 2009

  • if he has orders you know your duty station. find out what they have

    Answer by moki1984 at 2:20 PM on May. 29, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.