help with Craigslist ?

I bought a watch off craigslist which was promised to be "authentic"..i took it to several jewelers and they all said it was fake... the person wont answer the phone(obviously cuz he knows he sold me a fake)..i know his name, phone # and email...is there anything i can do? like call the police? anything?..i only paid $100 but its the principle!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on May. 29, 2009 in Money & Work

• I doubt it. Craigslist is full of scammers and stuff is usually "as-is".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on May. 29, 2009

• I would have asked him to take it to jewlers and had it appraised before I bought it
    SweetKYmom

Answer by SweetKYmom at 11:25 AM on May. 29, 2009

• welcome to craigslist! its a hopeless situation. the police wont do anything. just take it as a lesson learned. im sorry that happened.
    katie_s1

Answer by katie_s1 at 11:26 AM on May. 29, 2009

• craigslist is a joke
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on May. 29, 2009

• I am assuming you did not use Paypal?? If you use Paypal, you can get your money back. That is the only reason I use it. I don't think you have any way of getting your money back, however, you can file a police report. Do you have their name, address and phone? It can't hurt to do that. Also on Craigslist there is a Rant and Raves section under the Personals. You can post that information there so no one else gets scammed. I am sorry this happened to you. Craigslist is like the gateway to the scams. It's bad.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:35 AM on May. 29, 2009

• You should have met him at a jewlers of YOUR choice before purchasing it. Once t he got your money he is never going to answer your mesages.
    Not everyone on Craiglist is a scammer. I sell stuff on Craigslist but I am an honest person and upfront about any of the things I am selling because I would hate for someone to do that to me.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 11:59 AM on May. 29, 2009

• caveat emptor - buyer beware

Answer by rkoloms at 12:08 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Craigslist is great for some things but maybe not so much for jewelry and such. You just have to be so careful. My bet would be that there is nothing you can do about it. However on the plus side you have learned a valuable lesson in honesty amongst others and the importance of being well informed and self preserving. I can bet you won't let it happen again!
    Anonymous