When should she play by herself and How can I get her to?

I have a nine month old who I am told is going through the "mommy" phase. She can crawl and walk along furniture and follows me everywhere. If I stop she is crawling up my leg and wanting to walk with me. I want her to be a big girl and walk around but I cant get anything done easily. When can I expect her to play by herself so I can get anything done? If I place her in a playpen she screams pretty much non stop. Any suggestions?

ArisMom2060

Asked by ArisMom2060 at 11:44 AM on May. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• haha - my son is 18 months old and I can't even lay down or sit down for 2 seconds or he's pulling at me and saying UP UP!! and starts crying..lol!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:00 PM on May. 29, 2009

• You want her to be a big girl, but she is not, she is a baby who needs her mommy! Babies at this age are dealing with separation anxiety. It is a developmental stage, and you cannnot "teach" them to not be clingy at this stage. If you want her to be strong and independent then meet all of her needs now and soon she will be pushing you away. If you try and force it too soon she will cling tighter! Meanwhile, get used to doing things with a baby on your hip, or crawling around hanging onto your leg. She will learn a lot about the world hanging out with her mama, and feel secure and loved so that she can move away when she is ready.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:01 PM on May. 29, 2009

• When she is not right with you, is she in the play pen? Does she have "free roam" of the house (with safety measures taken of course)? My little one (almost 10 months) can be pretty clingy. But if I have stuff to do, she can either follow me around or she can play with her toys scattered all over the living room. lol If she just wants to be held (not hungry, tired, or sick) I let her fuss. If it gets to be too much, I take her over to her toys and show her how much fun they are and usually she find something else more fascinating than looking at moms butt, crying. lol I also have a drawer in the kitchen that has old tuperware and measuring cups and such that I don't use any more. Maybe a couple wooden spoons or old pots and lids are fun too.
    DirtyMonkey

Answer by DirtyMonkey at 2:09 PM on May. 29, 2009