Is My 8 Month Old Acting Spoiled?

My 8 month old son was sick for several days, and he wanted to be held non stop- If we put him down he'd just scream... And Scream... And Scream! I figured he was just miserable and only wanted to be held for comfort from Mommy & Daddy. Well he's not sick anymore, but he's still being "Clingy". I can't get 10 seconds away from him; He crawls and follows me around the house. If I sit on the couch he pulls himself up where I am. If I sit on the floor he pulls himself up on me... He never acted that way before, but now he JUST wants to be held ALL THE TIME. Is he acting spoiled? Or is something else going on? PLEASE HELP ME!!! :( -Faith

Lovely-Faith

Asked by Lovely-Faith at 11:46 AM on May. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Babies cant be spoiled from being held... Giving your child the attention he wants & needs now will make him feel SECURE & he will get to the point that he knows he is loved & cared for & will start to be more independent naturally... before you know it you will want to hold him & love on him & he will be too busy...

MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 1:43 PM on May. 29, 2009

• No, he is NOT spoiled! This is very typical behavior for an 8 month old! This is when they start to have separation anxiety. You cannot "teach" them to not need you there at this age. You just need to plan on never being out of his sight for the next few months. Fortunately you can get a lot done with a baby on your hip, or tagging along on the floor!
    Hang in there! Boys tend to be more clingy than girls.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:53 AM on May. 29, 2009

• I agree with maggiemom2000. You cannot spoil an infant. He just wants to be loved.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 12:13 PM on May. 29, 2009

• my son is the same way.. and he's 9 1/2 months.. i just let it go cause I know he wont be that way for much longer.. ;)
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 1:20 PM on May. 29, 2009

• My son is also the same way and he is 9 1/2 months old too, I cant sit anywhere without him trying to crawl all over me he doesnt to it to his dad just me, ALWAYS has to be around me climbing on me pulling my hair, just anything to touch me, which to me (even though at times it can be annoying) is fine because some day he wont want to be around me so much, just try to enjoy it, I am sure once he stops you'll miss it
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 1:53 PM on May. 29, 2009