C-section vs. Vaginally???

I was at my high risk Doctor yesterday getting my 37th week growth scan and she said the baby was already at 7lbs 12ozs. With a large head ''he gets it from his daddy'' that I will probably have to have a c-section, beacuse he is going to be so big. I realllllly didn't want to have a c-section had my heart set on a vaginal birth. Bit I guess thats out. Has anyone had a c-section? How painful is it how long is the recovery time?
What are the pros and cons??

Heather10285

Asked by Heather10285 at 11:47 AM on May. 29, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Are you still going to try to have a vagina birth? i would. that doesn't mean your body won't stretch for the baby. Unless the doctor thinks your pelvis is just too small. I'd still try though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on May. 29, 2009

• don't fully rely on the measurements, i was told my baby was going to be 9 pounds at 40 weeks...well, my baby was 7 pounds, 5 ounces at 40 w & 3 d when she was born. I think you should try a vaginal birth unless it was a medical emergency when you went into labor. I had a c-section 18 months ago and I'm trying a VBAC any day now.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 11:50 AM on May. 29, 2009

• Well-no one really knows until you try. What happens if you opt for the section just based on what they tell you and your baby is 6 lbs with a small head? You can still have a vaginal birth. I would just let labor happen and see what happens.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 11:50 AM on May. 29, 2009

• His head is in the 99% of being large. She dosen't think it will fit. I wanted to try but now I'm thinking I don't want to be in labor for 20 hours to turn around and have a c-section anyway.
    Heather10285

Answer by Heather10285 at 11:51 AM on May. 29, 2009

• well if you do end up having a c-section it is painful i had one and the i have to say first three days were the worst they told me i had to drink from a straw because if i got any air in there it would hurt and it does i did not want to eat but i was up and walking around the next of birth i walked a little hunched over lol but i was good to go after about a week also take stool softeners because i didnt and just wanted to die because of the pain lol but recovery was really fast for me and i hope for you too if you end up having one good luck
    Reneemommy

Answer by Reneemommy at 11:54 AM on May. 29, 2009

• I was in labor for forty hours then they had to do a c-section. I would have gone longer if they would have let me. I was glad that I tried, even though I was so hungry! I ended up having to have three epidurals placed before that, and in all honesty I think that was the worst part. The c-section goes so fast, and you are so out of it. The first week was the worst but then it was over. I didn't realize how many movements required me to use my abs! lol Getting in and out of the car and bed. The gas is horrible for that first couple of days, juts like PP said. In the end I only cared that my baby was here, no matter how it happened. I wouldn't have changed a thing! Except for that my post partum nurse didn't know I had a c-section and I wen't twelve hours with no pain medications . . . ouch! Be your own advocate!
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 12:09 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Sweetheart you HAVE a choice. Sonograms are notoriously off when it comes to weight estimates...and even more so the further along you are. I personally wouldn't sign up for a c-section because the doc "thinks" the baby is big. I believe C-sections are necessary in EMERGENCY situations but the doctor thinking the baby is big is a speculation...not an emergency situation. If it were a true emergency, you'd be getting cut open right now.

Our bodies are made to stretch...the baby's head is made to mold. There is no telling whether your baby is too big until you actually are in labor. I'd go for the vaginal momma...totally.
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 12:13 PM on May. 29, 2009

• they thought my baby was going to be small and when she was born( vaginally) she was 8 lbs 10 oz and it took less than an hour to actually push her out.. the drs really have no idea how big the baby is going to be until they are here i would at least try vagnially
    melis1029

Answer by melis1029 at 12:33 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Well I had to be induced because my son's heart was having decels and I had to check in at the hospital twice a week, They finally induced me and after giving me a epidural his heart dropped extremely fast and would not pick back up so they had to do a emergency c-section and did not give me enough time for the medicine to kick in so I was in the worst pain I could think of. I finally got sick and passed out and by the time I woke up everything was blurry and I couldn't feel anything waist down. When the numbness went away I couldn't giggle without almost crying because of the pain. It was awful for me and lasted about a week.
    Now that probably doesnt happen often.
    yaffamommy

Answer by yaffamommy at 12:33 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I had a scheduled C/s with my first because he was estimated at 9 lbs at 38 wks; he was born at 39 wks at 8.5 lbs, so they over-estimated by a pound. Being a scheduled C/s, it wasn't too bad. After they did the spinal block, I didn't feel anything during the surgery except for a little bit of pressure. After the pain meds wore off, it did hurt a lot to get out of bed and stand up/sit down, coughing and laughing made it feel like my stomach was about to rip open; but I was up and around (slowly and carefully) a few days after I had him, and we made a 5 hr trip to the beach when he was a week old. That being said, my second baby was born vaginally (8 lbs 3 oz), and it was much easier; there was a little soreness in the perineal area because I tore, but that was gone by the time I went home. You'll never know unless you try.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:51 PM on May. 29, 2009