go to sleep later = waking up earlier

someone please explain the phenomenon to me. I don' t get it. My DD was up about an hour later than normal and she woke up an hour earlier. Any other weird things like this that you've noticed?

casd

Asked by casd at 11:49 AM on May. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Oh yeah, my son does that all the time. He's 9 months. He sleeps 6-6. We've tried putting him to bed at 7 or 8 and he wakes up at 5. I know I'm lucky for him to sleep so well, but 6 is a little too early for me! I don't get it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on May. 29, 2009

• When a young child gets overtired, their body releases adrenaline - the same chemical that gets dumped into your system during a car wreck or if you are mugged. That makes it harder for them to get to sleep, harder for them to stay asleep, and more likely to wake up early. It's simply a reaction to the chemical that was dumped into their system.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:00 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Nice Kaycee14- never knew, adrenaline, wow no wonder!! That totally makes sense.
    casd

Answer by casd at 12:11 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Yeah, my son needs a schedual. My sister told me that if I put him to bed later that he will sleep later, but it just isn't true for him. He goes to bed at 8pm on the dot and will sleep until 7:30 or 8am. (which I am thankful for!!) There have been times when we were traveling and such when time didn't allow for us to go to bed at his regular time and he was up much earlier. It was terrible!! He was so overtired and cranky!
    (My sisters children go to bed at 8pm and are up at like 6am...so she tries keeping them up until about 10pm in the hopes that they will sleep later...but all she ends up with are really crabby kids!!)
    SecretSuzy

Answer by SecretSuzy at 12:13 PM on May. 29, 2009

• my son does that -NO FAIL! I put him to bed at 8:30 and he's up at 4:30 - I put him to bed at 7 and he gets up at 6- no fail!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:28 PM on May. 29, 2009

• My son has a weird schedule, too. When he was little, we would sleep from 9:30pm-9:30am (I loved those days), but now no matter what time I put him down (whether it is 8pm or 10pm) he tries waking up at 6am! Way too early!
    wyattsmommy626

Answer by wyattsmommy626 at 1:10 PM on May. 29, 2009

• wow, i wish either one of my first two would have had a schedule!!! My 2 1/2 yr old still sleeps when he wants and wakes when he wants. My 8 yr old still gripes at bedtime and gripes in the morning... maybe my next will be easier... uh huh...
    deanamfinley

Answer by deanamfinley at 1:27 PM on May. 29, 2009

• woa i got really lucky i think cuz my son sleeps at least 12 hours a night no matter what time we put him to bed (well, most nights at least lol) but thats a super cool trivia fact about the adrenalin thing cuz owyn gets soooo hyper right befor bed and its probably just him being tired! good question!
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 1:35 PM on May. 29, 2009