Best Way To Clean Sippy Cup Valves?

I have the Nuby sippy cups for my son and I can not get the valves clean to save my life. There is black scum building up from where I can not get them clean enough and I don't want to give him a sippy cup with a dirty valve in it. What is the best way to clean it out?

wyattsmommy626

Asked by wyattsmommy626 at 11:49 AM on May. 29, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I used to soak them in bleach water ten use a toothpick to get the loosened crud out gently then wash in dishwasher
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 11:45 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Use a pipe cleaner. You can find them with the crayons at Target.
    LuvBug3

Answer by LuvBug3 at 11:53 AM on May. 29, 2009

• Let it sit in a bowl of water and bleach itll come right off.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on May. 29, 2009

• i always used the nipple cleaner from the bottle cleaners takes a little effort but it worked for me. or you can always soak them in hot water or boil them it wil break it up and then rinse then wash with hot soapy water
    Anonymous

• I put them in a bowl of vinegar.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 11:54 AM on May. 29, 2009

• I take a toothpick or a chopstick and clean it all out while I am scrubbing with soap and water. Love the pipe cleaner idea! Thanks!
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 11:57 AM on May. 29, 2009

• We put them in the dishwasher then soaked in vinegar

Answer by rkoloms at 12:05 PM on May. 29, 2009

• just put a little bit of bleach && water in the cup up to about 1/2 way full, put the lid back on && shake it for a min or 2, no scrubbing necessary. open it, pour that out && rinse thoroughly with hot, hot water. bleach cleans all that hard to reach && nasty scum out of cups && bottles
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 12:06 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I also used the nipple cleaner from the bottle cleaners. My sons stayed really clean. I also never let them sit. When he was done with them, I rinsed them with hot water, then did them with the next load of dishes.
    SecretSuzy

Answer by SecretSuzy at 12:07 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Thanks! I tried the tooth pick thing last night and it nearly broke off in it, but I will try the all the other suggestions!
    wyattsmommy626

Answer by wyattsmommy626 at 12:41 PM on May. 29, 2009