When can a lil one start eating foods on his own?

My lil guy will be 8 months on June 8th...i was just wondering when they start to pick finger foods up with their two fingers? He shows great interest in food when me and my husband are eating, sometimes i even feed him a few grains of rice and maybe a tiny bit of chicken breast( he has four teeth)...when is he going to start eating regular food? Thanks!=)

JulesMommy1008

Asked by JulesMommy1008 at 12:02 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Quick answer. Depends on the baby. What I've learned is that your little one will be ready to self-feed when they have the hand coordination to pinch the food and bring it to their mouth. You can always introduce table foods at this point. Just make sure it's soft enough and small enough for them to chew. If you want to get them used to the flavors of meals you can always puree your family dinner and feed it to baby.
    JenAndCian

Answer by JenAndCian at 12:13 PM on May. 29, 2009

• He will only when he is ready. Some kids, like mine, could eat on their own at 8 months. I have seen some that won't until 18 months.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:13 PM on May. 29, 2009

• As soon as my DD showed interest I started giving her food on her tray. At first they might not totally do the pincher move, but if they can get it to their mouth, that's a good thing. You will still be feeding them what they need. They will be getting the practice for when they are ready to be more independent. Letting them have the spoon is a whole other experience! lol :)
    DirtyMonkey

Answer by DirtyMonkey at 1:36 PM on May. 29, 2009

• My two started at 18 months 'my girlfriend tried sooner with her she saids she does'nt think the baby really ate anything she just made a mess and played with it. she thinks the food went to the table and the floor.But mine did fine at 18 months though.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 3:01 PM on May. 29, 2009