• In the Spotlight:

Baby schedule?

My baby will be 8 months soon...i wanted to know how to get him on a schedule...it seems like now he eats whenever he feels like it and sleeps whenever as well...how do i get him to do it all at the same time everyday? should he be on a schedule already at this age?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mine was on one starting at 3 months, but, I let him guide us into one. I tried figuring out about how long he went between feedings and making sure he ate an entire bottle at a feeding. Then, 4 hours later, he would want another. If he slept longer than 5 hours during the day, I would get a bottle ready and wake him. If he cried after 2 hours, I knew he didn't need a bottle and would try to comfort him in other ways.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:11 PM on May. 29, 2009

• my son [[21 mos]] has been on a schedule since he was 6 weeks old. you just gotta get tough. like if you want him to go to bed at 8p every night, just put him in his bed then. he will probably cry for awhile, but you gotta be strong && leave him in there, don't give in. eventually he will fall asleep. it will probably be hard for the first week or so while he is getting used to it, but eventually he will figure out that you mean business. my son goes to bed EVERY night at 7p. It makes things so much easier when they are on a schedule.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 12:11 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Before you try to impose a schedule on him, pay attention for a few days and see if you can find any patterns in his behavior: Does he always want to eat right after he naps, or nap right after he eats? Does a certain amount of time elapse between naps and/or meals? If there are patterns there, then it will be a matter of readjusting his schedule instead of forcing one on him; for instance, if he's hungry an hour after he wakes up and you want him to eat earlier, wake him up a little earlier. And once you get started, be consistent; if bedtime is 8:00, put him to bed then every night with the same routine, or he won't get the picture. Good luck!
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:02 PM on May. 29, 2009

• My son is 11 months old and we kind of have a schedule. It is being thrown off because I am trying to wean him from him bottle, but he gets a sippy of milk in the morning, I offer him oatmeal around 10ish if he acts hungry, then he gets a sippy of milk around 2ish, snacks throughout the day, dinner by 7, and get ready for bed at 8:30. I just put him in his crib when I want him to go to bed. The first night I tried, he SCREAMED for probably 45 minutes, but the next night it was 15 minutes, then 10, then 5, and now he just rolls over and goes down. It is hard, but I am still working on schedules with him.
    wyattsmommy626

Answer by wyattsmommy626 at 1:19 PM on May. 29, 2009