Sleep Apnea(PIOG)

I am deathly afraid of my baby dying from SIDS, as I'm sure most of you are/were when you babies were little! She sleeps in the bed with me(she is 7 weeks old) and I always notice she stops breathing for approx. 10 seconds at a time. I always gently shake her. Not enough to wake her up, just enough to startle her and she takes a big breath and is ok. But I'm just afraid I'll be sleeping and I won't be able to wake her up! It's so bad I can't go more than an hour before I wake up and look at her just to make sure! Does anyone worry about this like I do?? What do you do to put your mind at ease?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:11 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This is actually normal, and she may not stop you just don't hear or feel. I know some are against binky's but they have found that they can help with SID's because they baby sucks every so often. SID's is terrible and there is no known cause or cure. But my SIL is in the medical field and she says that most babies that die from SID's had other anomilies to begin with. More boys die from SID's than girls and they don't know why that is either. Jus make sure she is on a firm mattress, not soft or puffy comforters. Only put her on a sheet nothing more. No stuffed animals around her head. Babies rarely suffer from SID's after 8 months. It is normal to worry, but unhealthy to deprive yourself of much needed sleep. Relax and concentrate on the things you CAN control like where and how she sleeps. She will be fine.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:56 PM on May. 29, 2009

• She shouldn't stop breathing for any amount of time - I would have her checked to make sure she is actually stopping breathing or if it just looks like it to you !? my son had colic and never slept so I didn't raelly have much time to worry about sids - although I still DID worry a ton about it!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:33 PM on May. 29, 2009

• SIDS and apnea are two totally different things.

Sleep apnea is if they stop breathing for longer than 20 seconds. It's perfectly normal for them to stop for a few seconds then start again. And when they start, it will be a deep breath.

My son was in the PICU at 5 weeks with RSV. He had apnea episodes a lot while in there and they wouldn't release him until he stopped them (his were due to the RSV at the time) If he went 20 seconds, they would touch him and he would start up again. If he went 30 seconds and touch didn't wake him they would shake him. The nurses there were the ones who told me that a pause in breathing for a few seconds was normal. They didn't even budge until the monitor went off at 20 seconds.

He's fine.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:11 PM on May. 29, 2009