Sleep Apnea(PIOG)

I am deathly afraid of my baby dying from SIDS, as I'm sure most of you are/were when you babies were little! She sleeps in the bed with me(she is 7 weeks old) and I always notice she stops breathing for approx. 10 seconds at a time. I always gently shake her. Not enough to wake her up, just enough to startle her and she takes a big breath and is ok. But I'm just afraid I'll be sleeping and I won't be able to wake her up! It's so bad I can't go more than an hour before I wake up and look at her just to make sure! Does anyone worry about this like I do?? What do you do to put your mind at ease?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:12 PM on May. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• If you fear that your baby has sleep apnea then you need to take her to see her ped. That is what causes SIDS in some cases. The doctors will more than likely do a sleep/stress test on her and confirm but they can give her a CPAP machine for when she sleeps. That will make sure she keeps breathing at night. My dad and MIL has sleep apnea. It is not something to play around.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 12:16 PM on May. 29, 2009

• She shouldn't be forgeting to breath. Especially if she is in bed with you. She should be breath like you are. I would ask a pediatrician about it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:16 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I agree - if she is not breathing for any amount of time, bring her in -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:18 PM on May. 29, 2009

• and another thing, you need to put her in her crib. Don't sleep with her in your bed. A girl I went to high school with had a baby that slept with her in the bed and her son died from SIDS. It is never a good idea to let your baby that young sleep in your bed. Maybe when they get older. but not that young. I know you are worried about her not breathing at night, but she needs to be in a crib.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 12:19 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Actually, co-speeping has been shown to reduce SIDS deaths. The child can get into the right breathing pattern because they hear mom.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:20 PM on May. 29, 2009

• My pediatrician, OB, My doctor, My uncle who is a doctor and this website have always told me that there are too many dangers in co sleeping in beds, chairs, sofas, etc. the only place a newborn or infant should be is in their crib. that is too much of a risk i would be willing to take with my child.
    Sorry if my opinion upsets others.

http://www.myoptumhealth.com/portal/Information/item/Co-Sleeping,+SIDS,+Suffocation+and+Stra?archiveChannel=Home%2FHealth+Hubs%2FType2HealthHub%2FParenting%2FTopTopics&clicked=true

2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 12:34 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Kids die from SIDS in cribs too. It's called crib death for a reason.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:06 PM on May. 29, 2009

• When you have a question about something go to the source.
    Actually according to the American Sids Institure and I quote
    4. Do not place your baby to sleep in an adult bed. Typical adult beds are not safe for babies. Do not fall asleep with your baby on a couch or in a chair.
    10. If your baby has periods of not breathing, going limp or turning blue, tell your pediatrician at once.
    11. If your baby stops breathing or gags excessively after spitting up, discuss this with your pediatrician immediately.

And YES, I trust them because I lost my daughter to SIDS.
    Danni143

Answer by Danni143 at 1:25 PM on May. 29, 2009

• (my opinion is co-sleeping is great) BUT THIS POST ISNT ABOUT THAT! SO STOP! :)
    If your worried your dd may not be breathing normally take her to see her dr. & have her tested! :) Its the only thing you can do to REALLY ease your mind.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 1:26 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Sorry forgot to add the link

http://www.sids.org/index.htm
    Danni143

Answer by Danni143 at 1:26 PM on May. 29, 2009