How can I help myself to stop thinking Politics as a Complex Subject?

I read the newspaper and I still don't get it. Help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:12 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• In addition keep reading! Read Read Read! Do not watch ANY news stations because it is mostly fluff without the facts to back it up. They are in the entertainment business. Try reading non-mainstream publications as well, or alternative publications as they are referred to. Try reading the Alternative Press Index. It is published bi-annually in April and October. Each issue is about 750 pages long, and includes complete subscription info for the publications index. Great Resource!
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 1:21 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Umm... but politics IS a complex subject. Everyone has a different opinion, based on their past experiences, and has different ideas on how things should be done.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 12:22 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Reading the newspaper is your problem. Try watching FOX The hard left says they are no good but there are more people watching them than all other TV news shows put together. A lot of them are liberals and Independants. At least you get both sides of the story. They are on all day and you might just find a commentator you really like and can watch every day
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:25 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Listen to Rush Limbaugh or Keith Olberman, and you will be able to assume that politics ISN'T complex, when it really is. They both seem to think politics are black and white to suit their needs. We should call them though and thank them for the dumbing down of America.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 12:56 PM on May. 29, 2009

• He he he urkiddingright. Thank you so much! You just made my day better!
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 1:13 PM on May. 29, 2009

• the easy answer...pick a side (Dem or Repub OR Lib or Conserv)& no matter what they do or say agree w/ them. dont think for yourself or ask questions, just agree w/ what ppl on your side say. also, call everyone thats on the other side "uneducated", "stupid", or (my fav) "choosing not to see the truth". thats really the only way to make politics simple.

the best way to understand politics (imo) is to start by looking at the issues, not ppl's opinions of the issues, but the actual issue. then decided what you think about it, THEN listen to other ppl's thoughts on it, compare it to what you think, & change your mind if you need to. over time politics will get easy to understand, but it will always be complex. Good luck!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:15 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I was going to ignore this post because it seems a bit trollish.

I would recommend deciding where you stand on issues that matter most to you. This will largely determine which party you have the most in common with. Then, research many different sources (I would recommend staying away from any MSM and going right to the source) to read up on the logistics of those issues. This may change your feelings a little.

Don't be swayed by party affiliation if you have more in common with an Independent party. As much as I identify with the republican party, I can't get behind some of their policy. I would be considered a moderate, but identify most with the Libertarian party. I think it's time to bring a new breed to DC and it can't be done without support of the people it wants to represent. If you find yourself as an independent, stay strong in your convictions and don't vote to win, vote your conscience.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:25 PM on May. 29, 2009