Has any one noticed that a lot the states that are allowing Gay marriage

to be recognized are also the states that were free states during the civil war? What do you think that means?

fireball1978

Asked by fireball1978 at 12:14 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Are you trying to make the point that the south will never make gay marriage legal? I hate to say it but I think you are right if that is what you mean. I live in Alabama, have lived here all my life. I am proud to be southern and from Alabama but we do have a hell of a lot of close minded people in this state. I think anyone should have the right to marry the person they love. One thing I really hate is when I hear the "bible thumpers" scream that gay marriage will undermind straight marriage, uh how? If 2 people of the same sex get married and it effects your marriage in any way, then you don't have a very strong marriage. The only people that should effect a marriage are the 2 people in it.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 12:27 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Jesus is on his way back very soon.
    ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 12:16 PM on May. 29, 2009

• OK what does that have to do with my point.
    fireball1978

Answer by fireball1978 at 12:18 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I don't know what it means, but it's about time. They deserve the same rights any other couple in the country gets.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 12:19 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I agree with 2aut. I believe it is not this countries right to decide who can marry who. Everyone should be allowed to marry whom ever they want.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 12:21 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I agree with you completely. I am trying to make a comparison on civil liberties and some parts of southern culture. Do you think that it is comparable?
    fireball1978

Answer by fireball1978 at 12:22 PM on May. 29, 2009

• To answer your question, OP, I think it's because people congregate in groups with others that share their ideals. An ultra-liberal person is not going to move to and live in the ultra-conservative South. And an ultra-conservative person would be miserable in the ultra-liberal SoCal region.

I do think as the division becomes more obvious and certain groups get more and more outspoken and pushy... we may be on the way to another Civil War. ( IF we're not careful, that is)
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 12:30 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I also think what two people do in their bedroom has nothing to do with my bedroom.
    I guess I am trying to make that point. Being from the south, do you think it is more or less oppressive of minorities compared to northern states. I am wondering if the same lines will be drawn that were there during the Civil War.
    fireball1978

Answer by fireball1978 at 12:33 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I guess I can understand what your saying about the south to some extent. However, I do not think that the same "lines" will be drawn. I live in Mississippi and we actually have a lot of gays that live here. I mean I am friends with a lot of people who are gay. I do think that there are definitely still some close minded people that live here, but I don't think it's to the extent that most northerners think. I think it's about the same as anywhere else. I mean we are not ALL torch && pitch-fork carrying members of the KKK. Some of us do respect other people no matter what color or sexual orientation they are. As far as my opinion, it really doesn't matter, but I don't think that it is the state's right to deny anyone what they want. I mean, after all, this is America, right?? The only person that has the right to judge anyone is God.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 12:42 PM on May. 29, 2009

• But states are making the decision to either allow or prohibit what some of us here think are rights that everyone should have. Can a state be conservative or liberal?
    fireball1978

Answer by fireball1978 at 12:48 PM on May. 29, 2009