Can an Immigrant pass the Teacher's Certification Test?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:20 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I am pretty sure the test would have a cultural bias to people that were raised in the US but, I don't see why an immigrant couldn't pass it. Haven't we all had teachers from other countries?
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 12:47 PM on May. 29, 2009

• You don't have to be born here to pass the test but you sure have to have knowledge of everything going on. It's much easier for the ones born here because the test have questions such as a question when you were in first grade and so on.
    Anonymous

• I had a teacher in high school who was Italian. One of the best teachers I ever had.

I know she was married to an American man, but she was teaching in the US long before that. So I would assume it could be done.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 12:23 PM on May. 29, 2009

• They have to go to school first, they can't just jump up and say "hey I want to take the teachers certification test" They have to go to school then take the test.
    Anonymous

• The test has nothing to do with citizenship and everything to do with intelligence and logic! I teach preservice teachers and as long as you are comfortable with the English language and know your subject matter then you will do fine. The biggest problem people run into is the clock - you have to be able to think quickly because there are a lot of questions in a short amount of time.
    psugal

Answer by psugal at 12:38 PM on May. 29, 2009

• What state would this be in and don't you think it matters if they came here at the age of 2 or last week? There is an option to add more information to your question when you post. Sounds like psugal knows her stuff.
    Anonymous

• May. 29, 2009 by: psugal
    The test has nothing to do with citizenship and everything to do with intelligence and logic! I teach preservice teachers and as long as you are comfortable with the English language and know your subject matter then you will do fine. The biggest problem people run into is the clock - you have to be able to think quickly because there are a lot of questions in a short amount of time.

X2
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:05 PM on May. 29, 2009

• One of my kids' best teachers is from Chile and does have some trouble with English. She teaches Spanish. Also, their English teacher is British. I had an excellent bookkeeping teacher from Cuba. She is one smart cookie.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 2:07 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Anyone who isn't a total idiot could pass the teachers licensure test, in Massachusetts at least. It's scary how many current teachers fail that thing. It doesn't test your knowledge of America; it tests your knowledge of the subject area you intend to teach plus stuff like basic math and language skills and educational theories.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 4:15 PM on May. 29, 2009