baby proofing your house

What are a few things that you think parents commonly forget to baby proof in their home?

maddysmommy907

Asked by maddysmommy907 at 12:21 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• the toilet.LOL

I have a toilet lock on mine so the kids don't play in it..
    a stove lock and refrigerator lock.

I locked everything, although now that they are grown i don't need them. they know not to go in cabinets and such.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 12:23 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I feel if you baby proof everything they will never learn whats wrong and right and when they go over to someone elses house that doesnt have it babyproofed they wont know how to act and they will see its not locked and go crazy to get it JMO
    ladybug.ky88

Answer by ladybug.ky88 at 12:41 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Definitely the toilet. And door knob handles; you think they're not tall enough yet, and then one day they've got the door open and you're wondering how much they grew overnight, lol. ;-)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:55 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Dunno. I don't babyproof anything really.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:58 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I baby proof the sockets and still tell her NO when she tries to play with them. And I baby proof the cabinet under the sink where the chemicals are. I put some cushion on the edge of our metal coffee table (she's pretty much past needing that any more), but that's about all. When she is on the floor, I barricade the entertainment and electronics with the coffee table. (video games and dvd book stand)

I never thought about the toilet, but like the rest said, you baby proof EVERY THING and they won't know what NOT to touch.
    DirtyMonkey

Answer by DirtyMonkey at 1:29 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I put all chemicals etc out of reach or in locking cupboards. Electrical outlets got plugs. For the most part I could gate off where I thought was dangerous to them. I left plants and such out of coffee tables. I taught them early what was ok to touch and what was Mommy's. This way when we visit others they did not think they could touch anything they liked.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:51 PM on May. 29, 2009

• She's just scooting around right now so we've done the outlets and the door stoppers...the little white caps on the end come off and babies have choked to death on them. Sorry, but Im not willing to "teach her a lesson" with something that could kill her.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 5:31 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I think the people who don't baby proof anything, may have a good point. However, it will only take a few seconds for you to turn your back and your child to get seriously hurt or killed. There was a woman who lived 20 miles from me that did not have her door handles proofed and her two year old got out and ran into the road and a teenage girl going to school ran him over with her car. He died 3 days later. Like I said, It only takes a second. You can baby proof but still teach them right from wrong. It is better to be safe than sorry.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 6:52 PM on May. 29, 2009