What do you consider being spoilt?

Alot of people say you can't spoil a baby and some say you can. My son is 14 months and always wants to be held. If not sometimes he will really cry and sometimes its a fake cry. He's really good at the fake ones!! Anyways just wanting to know other's opinions about what age a child can be spoilt and what you consider being spoilt.

yaffamommy

Asked by yaffamommy at 12:37 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• spoiled to me is not wanting to be put down and being overly clingy. I am one of those moms who believe you can spoil them as infants. My first child was spoiled by the time he was 4 months. everyone told me hold that baby when he wants to be held, that is what he needs and wants...BULL!!!! It got to the point where I couldn't do housework because he always wanted to be held. I am not a mother who is comfortable with my child not wanting to be independent and do things by himself. that is not healthy for them. children should want to sit in the floor and play with their toys and be by themselves for a little while. I am not saying I don't play with my kids or anything, I love my children to pieces but I don't let them cling all over me all day long either. When my daughter was born, she had her tummy time, swing time, mommy and daddy time, and everything else under the sun. she is not spoiled and is now 18 months old. CONT
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 12:42 PM on May. 29, 2009

• my son has always been very clingy - I do not pick him up all the time and sometimes I do - I let him throw his fits when I say no but I don't really think you can "spoil" a child with love either - you do need to show them that if you are busy, you can't always be there or distract their attention when they want to be held all the time - i like that he wants to be around me at times of course its frustrating but you can let him fake cry without showing him its affecting you either
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:42 PM on May. 29, 2009

• my son on the other hand is 3 years old and i am trying to get him to be a little more independent instead of wanting to picked up all the time.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 12:43 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I don't believe you can spoil them with love either, but you can spoil them with attention....
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 12:44 PM on May. 29, 2009

• At that age I think they can.....Achually a lot say they can't be spoiled at babies, but I honestly believe they can. This is why. When my first DD was born she was my first baby so of corse I held her all the time every single time I picked her up she would stop crying and every single time I put her down she would cry. She would even call asleep in my arms and no matter what she would wake up. I had to sleep with her in my arms cause she would not fall asleep at night by herself she got really bad at about 3 months old I wasn't getting anything done. So finally I broke her from it. Baby 2 the day I brought her home I believe she was spoiled. I remember the nurse saying that all the nurses held her in the nursary cause she was the only girl and the cuttest so they held her a lot in the nursary once I brought her home she would cry and cry and cry unless you pick her up so I believe they can be spoiled at any age.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 12:45 PM on May. 29, 2009

• butyou know what????? They are only little for a little time and they wont be spoiled and want held forever so I wish I would had done that to my girls. I miss them so much being little and my youngest is 17 months almost lol. When we have another baby that will be my last so I plan on spoiling my future child and holding that one a lot lol they grow up to fast.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 12:46 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I believe that you can spoil them from a very early age, but that didn't stop me from holding my son all the time, b/c he will probably be my only child. Now that he is older [[21 mos]] he doesn't get held all the time, nor does he want to be held all the time. He is very independent, but I will say that he does get clingy sometimes && wants to sit right beside me on the couch && he won't want me to get up && do anything. Anyway, I believe being spoiled is whenever they throw a fit to get something, anything, b/c if they are throwing a lot of fits it is b/c they have learned that you will eventually give in.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 12:59 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I think they do that when they are bored or getting ready for the next milestone. Like my kids were fussy right before they learned to walk, I think they were ready for the freedom of walking, but since they could not they would get angry! Try new or more engaging toys and see if that keeps him occupied. I always found that recommended ages for toys was always on the low end. Try 18-24 month toys and see if that helps out!
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 1:05 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I don't think you can spoil a baby by holding them. I can't imagine many toddler's wanting to be held though. There's too much to explore and get into! lol
    IMO I think a spoiled child get's to cry out and have a tantrum and still get their way. Understand that this does not apply to babies who cry to let you know they need you.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 1:20 PM on May. 29, 2009

• LOL.This is a good question.My sister vents her STRONG opinion on not picking her kids up when they cry and turns her nose up at me because I did and do.In my opinion...a child is not spoiled..only loved.They are small for far too short and one day,you'll want these days back.I have a 9 yr old son..I always held him when he needed me to,even if it was a quick snuggle.Now,he's not all clingy for sure,but he has no prob giving me a hug and kiss goodbye,even in front of his buds.Now I also have a 3 month old baby girl..WHOA is she a lil "needy" thing,lol.I get ridiculed all the time for holding her when she cries.I don't care what anyone says..I love snuglin my children.I want them to know I'm always here when they need me.And they always grow up..and get to be too big to be held,let them be children and let us be mommies while we can.When I need to get stuff done,I put her in her highchair and roll her around w/me talking her.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:01 PM on May. 29, 2009