Weening from the bottle

My son is almost 1 years old and I keep getting hounded by everyone close to us to take him off his bottle. He only gets MAYBE 3 if that but he gets one at night time and for his naps. When did you ween ur child/ren off the bottle? and how?

Kbp1987

Asked by Kbp1987 at 12:38 PM on May. 29, 2009 in General Parenting

• My son gave his up at 10 months because he liked his sippy better, and our daughter is now 11 months and she was only getting one for bed time and we replaced it with a sippy cup and now it's gone. It's easy, just no bottle during the day, instead it's a sippy cup. the first few days might be hard but when he gets thirsty he'll drink it. Try to not give him any formula in the sippy only water, juice and whole milk. You can give him formula at night in a bottle, then over a period of time the bottle will get boring and he will not want one before bed. But again NO BOTTLES DURING THE DAY! He can cry all he wants, but no bottle! My friends son is 2 and he gets a bottle 4 times a day and she's begging me to get him off it. She messed up and he's old enough to throw fits and cry until he gets his bottle, you dont want that so start now. Good Luck!
    Anonymous

• It is completely up to YOU!! && no one else. My son will be 2 in August && he still gets a bottle at naptime && bedtime. I have given him a cup to go to sleep with && he really doesn't care either way, as long as he has somethin to drink. I mean it's no worse than these 2 && 3 year olds that are walking around with pacifiers in their mouths all day long. I will probably take the bottle away completely when he turns 2, but that's just my preference.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 12:47 PM on May. 29, 2009

• My son is 10 1/2 months and I have been working on it for about a month. I introduced the sippy at about 6 months, he's good at using it now but at first would just play with it. I first only put water in it, then I started putting 2 oz of milk in it with each meal (he eats table food). I had the daycare replace the afternoon bottle with the sippy cup. He now only has a bottle at his morning feeding (7am) and his night feeding (9pm). I plan on cutting out the morning bottle next, probably in the next 2 weeks and will give him a sippy with milk. The night bottle is going to be the hardest :(
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 1:29 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I wish I was able to wean them earlier. My son and daughter were both 3 1/2 before they gave it up completely.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:35 PM on May. 29, 2009

• The earlier you do this the easier it will be. My kids were on sippy's by 13 months. If you let your baby relate bottle before bed and nap you are going to have a hard time breaking them or getting them to go down. I would start introducing the sippy soon and then maybe give bottle then bath a little play then bed rather than bottle before bed. Good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:51 PM on May. 29, 2009

• If I were you, I would let the kid have the bottle. My son had his till HE was ready to give it up. Bottles, especially if they are filled with milk, are a comfort for babies and toddlers. So I wasn't going to take a comfort from him. He took juice and water out of a sippy but wanted his milk in a bottle. He gave his bottle up in December; he was 2.5 years old exactly. His teeth are perfect too. I had my bottle till I was 4 and my teeth are fine. And the AAP even says...

"Many mothers are bottle-feeding their children beyond age 2, even though pediatricians often recommend the bottle be given up by 12 to 18 months, according to a California study of 191 healthy full-term infants.

Researchers found 42 percent of 2- to 3-year-olds were fed about three bottles a day, and 16 percent of 3- to 4-year-olds were given an average of 2.1 bottles a day."
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 4:09 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I weaned my dd off the bottle at 13mo. I had her to the point of only taking her bottle at bedtime and a sippy of milk or juice throughout the day. I just gave her a sippy one night instead of a bottle... she cried for about 15minutes before trying to drink the sippy, then cried for another 15minutes when she realized it was a sippy and not a bottle. I did this for about 3 nights before she got used to it. The toughest part was wanting to give in and give her a bottle. She didn't take a bottle after those 3 nights.
    kayla_trinity

Answer by kayla_trinity at 4:48 AM on May. 31, 2009