Disabliity & Suppl. Security income ....

Do you think that SSI and/or disability is a form of public assistance or welfare? I do not think it's welfare. And while it IS public assistance, it's a necessity for some people who are truly disabled. Just like with other govt. agencies that provide monetary assistance, there are those people out there who abuse it. I know of some who brag about how they 'pulled one over' on the govt. and get checks every month. I hate that! I PAID into the system when I worked in the event that I became disabled. Some people who have never worked, though, collect checks.
My question though is ....... do YOU consider it welfare?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:56 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Nope.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 1:10 PM on May. 29, 2009

• no welfare is if you are able to work and you chose not to !
    melis1029

Answer by melis1029 at 1:00 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I think it's welfare because a lot of people who are on SSI don't have a disability at all, obesity isn't a disability, schizophrenia isn't a disability and neither is bipolar or people who are affraid to be around other people. These are stupid reasons to be on SSI so I think it is welfare. But for those who truly are disabled then I'm ok with it. But yes I do consider it welfare! As soon as a person turns 18 they can get checked out and be considered disabled and get on SSI so they don't ever have to work. But it was created for people who really need it but it's turned into a way for people to live for free, not saying the ones who really need it but the ones who abuse it.
    Anonymous

• No, I don't. My stepmother is on disability and has been for some time. She worked the same job for almost 2 decades before she suffered her first heart attack at the age of 38 (her father died of a massive heart attack at age 37). In the twelve years since, she has suffered FOUR MORE.

She CAN'T work. Some days she can't get out of bed.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 1:01 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I am one of those who is truly disabled, but you couldn't tell by looking at me. And no, it's not a mental illness. I am 90 and 100 % deaf in each ear, respectively. I hate to be judged because I LOOK normal. I cannot hear, even w/ hearing aids, all they do is amplify the distortion that is normal language to other people. I am disabled, I am not on welfare!
    Anonymous

• No. It's not welfare. I am on Disability for a chronic disorder. But, I also work part-time,and don't just sit around on my butt waiting for my check like most welfare people do. I try to supplement mine as best I can.
    Anonymous

• That is the most ignorant thing I have seen on here yet!!!! Schizophrenia and bipolar are not disabilities. Are you really serious?? You need to go educate yourself. Someone who truely suffers from a mental disorder depending on the severity can be truely disabled.
    Anonymous

• anyone who thinks that ssi is welfare is ignorant and cruel all at the same time. if you have never walked in the shoes of someone that gets ssi then you do not know what they are going through. i have a daughter that qualify for ssi. do we go and get no, we do not need it. will she need it when she gets older and lives on her own maybe or maybe not. but i do know that it is extremely hard to have a job when you have no voice in which to speak.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 1:10 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Some people truly NEED disability. You don't expect people who are blind or paralyzed to get a regular 9-5 job do you? Yes, there are some rare exceptional people who do--they get written up in the newspaper. The rest don't, they can't work. SSI is for the ones who can't.

Then you get the abusers. A totally healthy, fit young man with a girlfriend and has 2 kids with her, (not to mention his LAST girlfriend who has 2 of his kids, and the one before that who has one of his kids...) He decides he doesn't want to work anymore, and he doesn't want to pay CS for all his kids. So he checks himself into a rehab and gets declared an alcoholic. After he finishes the program he is declared disabled, and he is set for life, SSI checks for the next 60 years. Wooo hoo! Somebody reported his happy little butt--nothing happened.

Anonymous

• Oh hell anon:07 my mom is bipolar and my husband has schizophrenia and they both work fine!! My mom takes medication, without it she's crazy but on it she's perfectly fine and my DH copes with the fact that sometimes his eye sight might be off and he may get dizzy sometimes because of schizophrenia, he hears things but he ignores it because he knows there is nothing there. So I am educated on bipolar and schizophrenia and I KNOW they are not disabilities. People who get SSI for these just want attention and they're lazy and don't want to work. If my mom had been told many times she has a sever case of bipolar(literally 2 personalities) then so can the others! They did true life on schizo people and they were working! So go educate yourself on these disorders!!!!!
    Anonymous