What would you do with it?

If someone handed you $500 and told you to only use the money to help a complete stranger, what would you do? How would you go about finding your stranger? What would you do to help them?

sillyt

Asked by sillyt at 1:37 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I'd pick a line in the grocery store- the express lane probably- and pay for the next $500 worth of groceries no matter if the person looked impoverished or not. When I was thinking of a reply, I thought I'd pay for somebody who looked in need, but I know of elderly people in hard times who wear their best to the store so that they can save face. So I'd ask the manager to take care of it, and I'd oversee by bagging, and have the manager tell people that an anonymous person had covered the next, say, 8 people in line. If there was any leftover, I'd split it among the cashiers.

Answer by Bmat at 2:18 PM on May. 29, 2009

• There is a place in the town I live in that does free sonos for girls that are pregnant, they also give them clothes and diapers, etc. I would donate it too them to help purchase such things.
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 1:45 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I would find a mom in need, a true mom who doesn't ask for anything but knows she needs it for her children. I would go around town asking people about their life and find her that way. I know there are a lot of moms in need that don't want to say anything.
    Anonymous

• Give it to my paster for the children in need program he started.
    EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 1:57 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Our church would be considered an impoverished parrish so I would go to the church and ask for the name of a family in need and give them help on whatever level they needed it.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:06 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Or, maybe I'd cover lunch for the people eating at the senior center, at about 50 people a day, it would take about 5 days.

Answer by Bmat at 2:21 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I would donate it to the battered women's shelter.
    Not only the women, but the children they have to bring with them in safety, are in need of clothing, food, and simple furniture in the shelter they stay at. Shelter's rely on donations and don't receive enough of them.
    When I was at one with my 1 year old, there was a broken high chair to share with 3 other babies, no formula, hardly enough food, and my daughter & I slept on a mattress on the floor. The police officers who helped us leave our abusive husband's would bring us things each day - diapers, food and treats for the kids, shampoo, whatever they could.
    I know $500 wouldn't go far, but I know it would help a bit.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:35 PM on May. 29, 2009