VERY cheap or free vacation?

Like alot of people, we are struggling financially and can't afford a vacation this year, not even an overnight one in a cheap hotel. We're under alot of stress right now and even an overnight getaway would be a breath of fresh air. Anybody have any ideas for a VERY cheap or free vacation? Please don't suggest camping in a tent, I'm just not one for sleeping in a canvas bag with a bathroom 3 blocks away in the woods in the middle of the night. Yeah, I know, I'm high maintenance, that's what my husband says, LOL!! I'm just not one for roughing it!! PS- We can't drive too far because our minivan isn't the most reliable.

Bethsunshine

Asked by Bethsunshine at 1:50 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Travel

• Maybe there is a park nearby where you can go in the morning, take a lunch cooler. Walk around on trails, place some softball or toss the ball or frisbee, the children play on the swingsets. have lunch, maybe take some card games or easy puzzles to do. Get home mid-afternoon.

Answer by Bmat at 2:37 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Check the zoos in your area...some of them have free admission and you can bring food from home. You will probably have to pay for parking though.
    tannersmomkw08

Answer by tannersmomkw08 at 1:52 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Well, sorry to tell you then if you can't drive far and don't have much money, camping is your only choice. YOU may not like camping, but give it a try, your kids may love it. If you don't want to walk far to a bathroom, ask for a spot close to the bathrooms. My family is struggling very bad too and would love a vacation, but know its out of the question, so we just aren't going to have one.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 1:53 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I don't think there's any "free" vacations. Take them to the water park but around here it's $30 per person for the day. Take them to the aquarium or zoo (admissions vary). Good luck
    Anonymous