How to find a playdate?

My husband (who had been unemployed for 8 months) just started a job last week, so I was able to cut my working hours from full time (plus night school) to just working weekends and school and I stay home with my 17 month old son during the week now. I have wanted to find him a playgroup or at least a friend (he is very interested in other kids) for a while but have not had any time. Now I have the time, but I am not sure where to start. What are some good ways to find a playgroup, or at least a friend or two for my son? Specifically I am looking for something more casual too, I cannot afford to be going to the zoo or anything like that very often. I just want my son to have someone to hang out with sometimes! Any ideas?

Sandie0819

Asked by Sandie0819 at 1:57 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• there are so many support groups. google mom support groups in wherever your area is. there should be a lot of them. like me, i am part of stlouismommies. they have a lot of those mommy networks. let me know what area your in and i can tell you if there is one around you. they host so many different things like going to different places in the area, hosting playdates with other kids in the same area, etc. also you can check (or post up flyers yourself) at preschools, churches, daycares, etc.
    kelsey.evans08

Answer by kelsey.evans08 at 2:00 PM on May. 29, 2009

• We have an early childhood education center that has play times for certain ages in MN. But I know on cafe mom you can also enter your zipcode and find mom's close to you if thats something or a local comminuty center may have information or you could even call your babies clinic and see if they have groups or information.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:11 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I found a woman and a son the same age as my daughter to have play dates with. I was in the same situation just a few weeks ago. It's going to sound weird, but I posted on my local Craigslist that I was looking for a play date. I stated how old I was, how old my daughter was and that I was looking to get together about twice a month. She e-mailed me with some questions and I e-mailed her back. Then she gave me her phone number and I called her and met at a park. The kids loved it and we are going to get together again next week.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 4:57 PM on May. 29, 2009