Your thoughts on this columnist's opinion on Gay Marriage?

I think he wrote a very good article here. He sums up everything that so many people argue about who are "anti-gay" marriage.

He has valid points that he makes, especially when he says "The moment a theological understanding of marriage gets in bed with the government, we have a problem"...well said! :)

I have several gay friends and acquaintances and I have to say they have every much a right to all rights including marriage and visitation rights to a sick partner at a hospital.

They tried to pass a domestic partnership law here which stated that anyone(gay or not) living as a couple could be entitled to the same rights(insurance, tax benefits, etc...) that a married couple has. It was vetoed by our stupid governor. I think that's just messed up in my opinion. I would be able to have insurance through my SO as well as get info in an emergency.

http://www.viewnews.com/2009/VIEW-May-26-Tue-2009/SWest/28866333.html

CinderAmethyst

Asked by CinderAmethyst at 2:02 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• INFO ON A SO YEA...THAT WOULD B OKAY...I DONT AGREE TO THE MARRIAGE PART THOUGH. I DONT THINK ADOPTION BY SAME SEX COUPLES IS OKAY EITHER...
    doodlemoore812

Answer by doodlemoore812 at 2:04 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I think adoption is sort of a separate topic here, but I'll reply to your reply since you mentioned it.

I think that there are just as many loving, caring and financially stable gay couples out there who would be better parents than some of the heterosexual foster and adoptive parents I've seen. Why deny a child the opportunity to grow up in a loving home that is harm free and yes, gay people do have moral values despite the fact that their religious views may not always agree with yours. Take religion out of the equation and all you have are two people willing to care for another individual. I disagree with you here.

I feel bad that all you see is what they do in the bedroom, versus WHO they really are.

CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 2:08 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Something that I just found out recently was that co-habitation laws don't only affect gay couples, but also polygamists! Now, in Texas we still have common-law marriage, so straight unmarried couples that have been together for over a year are not affected by these laws.

Not that I am gay or a polygamist, but I do believe they should have every right that a straight couple has.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 2:19 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I found a part in the bible that explains why there are so many gay people. Unfortunately I am at my mil and I don't have it handy. God bless.
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 2:26 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I Absolutely agree with you Cinder...Its rare you find a child whos been abused by a gay couple. If a couple is willing to give love and affection to a child who isnt recieving it, then let em. Who cares. There are millions of heterosexual couples that SHOULDNT have children and do way more damage than a gay couple ever could!!! Will a childs life be harder, not necessarily, will they be picked on for it, probably. Kids are mean, but its always something!!!

As far as marriage goes, it doesnt affect me. I wish they would legalize it, and recognize it everywhere!!! People are people, as soon as we can quite being so opinionated and judgemental things may just be fine!! Someonee elses marriage doesnt affect me, or ne one but the couple themselves. You may not agree with it, but so what. To each is own, and thats life. You dont like it, look the other way. How would you feel if you were told you couldnt love, or marry your SO?!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 2:27 PM on May. 29, 2009

• of course you did mo. but, why do you care we're just swine who enjoy our damnation, right?
    Anonymous

• You are right to be angry. What I had said was uncalled for and said out of anger. I apologize.
    I did find an interesting part in the bible that explains gay people. As far as the question of the post. I can agree that we should not let the government into our beds. Gay or straight.I'm sure if you let them get away with deciataing who we sleep with they'll try to gain full control.
    Like the saying goes "give them an inch and they take a mile." God bless
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 2:39 PM on May. 29, 2009

• dictating. Lol

mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 2:40 PM on May. 29, 2009

• "The moment a theological understanding of marriage gets in bed with the government, we have a problem"
    --------------
    Is he right? Maybe. However, a person's religion DOES affect how they feel on certain issues. If it didn't the person would be a complete hypocrite. The religious people have the same vote that everyone else does and so far when gay marriage propositions have come about, they've been voted down by the majority. People want to claim this ISN'T a Christian nation but when something that people wanted gets voted down by the MAJORITY all of a sudden it IS a Christian nation and the Christians are responsible for every voter decision that gets made that no one likes lol. You can't overrule a majority in spite of the fact that SOME people may vote based on their religion. We also can't blame it all on the religious. I know PLENTY of people without religious affiliation that do not approve of gay marriage.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:57 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Furthermore, there are PLENTY of religious groups that do not acknowledge Homosexuality as a sin or have a problem with it or gay marriage (my group, for instance, does not). So, we appreciate not being lumped together in with the rest of the Christian stereotype that people have.

As for bennefits for a live-in partner of any kind (sisters who help each other out, common-law marriage, partners ect.), some people disagree with this because it almost nullifies marriage. What bennefit is there for legal marriage when you can have the same bennefits not being married? Again, that POV has nothing to do with gay rights or religion either.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 3:04 PM on May. 29, 2009