Does this seem right for a job interview?

A week ago I had a job interview and they told me they'd call as soon as they got a hold of my references. They did get a hold of them but I had to call in order to know. Anyway, it's been a week and I still have no idea when I start or when my orientation is. I had to wait for a background check and I knew it was a holiday/weekend after the interview so I had some patience. It's Friday as we speak and still no call. I can't get a hold of them and no phone call from them in sight. Should I expect anything or move on?

LaurenKaye29

Asked by LaurenKaye29 at 2:24 PM on May. 29, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Give it 'til Monday then move on... After a long weekend they may just be having trouble catching up.
    Tawanda74

Answer by Tawanda74 at 2:28 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Well as for when you start, did they offically offer you the job? Some places will call you back for a second interview and then it is pretty much in the bag. What type of job is it that you are having a hard time getting them on the phone?
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:28 PM on May. 29, 2009

• They told me how much I'm making and said I'll have orientation. I "got" the job...*sigh*
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 2:29 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I would wait for them to call you and keep looking. If this is the way they do business it may not be somewhere you want to work anyway.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:38 PM on May. 29, 2009

• I would wait until next week to call them. Just because they told you how much you would be making doesn't mean you have the job. Also, it could be they didn't like what your references had to say and decided not to offer you the position. It could take weeks for a background check and for all references to be checked. You should NOT be calling your references to see if a potential employer called. It sometimes takes months before you will know for sure. It took 3 months from my first interview until I was officially offered a job at a bank. If you keep bothering the potential employer you will not get the job.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:02 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Is it a work study job? because if it is maybe they don't have jobs during the summer semester. I know when I applied for it they called me and told me I had a job and the set pay, but orientation wasn't until September, they called me in June.

Anyway I had forgotten all about it and had already agreed to work where I do now so I had to give it up, but they only have work study jobs during regular school semesters fall/spring.
    violaswamp

Answer by violaswamp at 3:03 PM on May. 29, 2009

• My guess is you didn't get the job.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 3:07 PM on May. 29, 2009

• Well, there is a fine line between squeaky wheel getting the grease and stalking. I would leave a message telling them you are still very much interested in the job and are looking forward to hearing from them soon and then let it go. Keep looking in the meantime. Good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:13 PM on May. 29, 2009

• A week in corporate time is like three seconds in the real world. My suggestion would be to send an email to the hiring manager with a link to an article that she/he would find informative and useful in her/his work. Don't be overly chatty, but ask in the email where they are at in their decision making process.
    I do career and job search coaching; feel free to contact me directly with any questions.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:39 PM on May. 29, 2009

• My daughter applied at JC Penney, had 3 interviews, a background check, references check, and it all took over a month. They called this afternoon to say that they would like to begin training her on Monday.
    The thing is, she had been so patient with them, but needed a job, that she accepted another job and has been in training with them since yesterday!
    I would rather she took the JCP job because it's a steady paycheck and close to home. The other job is 100% commission and she'll have to travel and split her commission with a manager because she doesn't have a license or a car.
    {sigh}
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:23 PM on May. 29, 2009